Breast Cancer Buddies Club holds fundraiser, offers support to cancer patients

Photo courtesy Breast Cancer Buddies Club Instagram (@woottonbcbuddies)
The Breast Cancer Buddies Club holds a meeting in Room 175 on Oct.10.

The Breast Cancer Buddies club is having a Chipotle fundraiser on Oct. 25 from 5-9 p.m. and a bake sale on Nov. 18 to help raise money for the club.

The Chipotle fundraiser is at the Shady Grove location from 5-9 p.m. Club members request that students mention that they are here for the Breast Cancer Buddies club and if students are ordering online for pickup use code XE4T3X9 all proceeds will be going to the club. Club members also ask students to send a picture eating Chipotle the day of the event and send it to their Instagram @woottonbcbuddies or email them at [email protected].

The Breast Cancer Buddies club is planning fundraisers and will be making gift bags, tie-knot blankets, and cards to donate to different cancer organizations. Breast Cancer Buddies is a non-profit organization that pairs cancer survivors with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. They have meetings on the second Tuesday of every month and at the meetings, they do activities such as making cards, gift bags and tie-knot blankets.

During the meeting, the club also plans events and fundraisers for the organization. And through the club, they will get the members to volunteer for these events. The president and founder of the club sophomore Jilli Nalibotsky said, “I want everyone to enjoy the events that we have and feel excited about them as well.”

Jilli’s mom Stephanie Nalibotsky is a breast cancer survivor and created this program in 2017. In the program, Stephanie Nalibotsky holds support groups for women with breast cancer once a month and pairs people with cancer with a mentor or peer to help them go through their fight. It became a non-profit organization in 2023. Jilli Nalibotsky said, “The organization holds a really special place in my heart so I want to do everything I can to support the goals and ideas through it.”

There will be SSL hours available for students who volunteer at the different fundraisers and at some of the club meetings. These opportunities are not only a great way to get SSL hours but also a great way to raise awareness. Club vice president junior Rachel Reinstein said, “I believe it is extremely important to raise awareness for breast cancer and families who are affected by it.”

Their goal for this club is to raise awareness for breast cancer and how it affects families. Not only are the people who have breast cancer affected by the illness but also their friends and family. Club sponsor Mia Krawczel said her goal is “to do some community work with the school.”

The club will be working with special education classes to assemble care items and gifts for cancer centers. It is undecided whether the special education will participate during the meeting or will be doing it separately in their classes. While this club focuses on breast cancer it also donates to other cancers too. The club is not limited to just helping breast cancer patients, it offers support for all cancer patients. While this club focuses on breast cancer it also donates to other cancers too. The club is not limited to just helping breast cancer patients, it offers support for all cancer patients.