Platinum Screen Club hopes to grow community during school year

Photo courtesy William Chiang
Seniors Naveen Ramamurthy and William Chiang, and junior Dan Usmano, the student leaders of the Platinum Screen club are excited for the rest of this school year and invite students to join them at meetings.

The Platinum Screen Club is hoping for new members to join them in their pursuit of new media to watch together. The club meets bi-weekly in Room 262.

The Platinum Screen Club watches and discusses movies and TV shows, with occasional snacking. The club meets after school on the first and third Wednesday of each month. “Our club is here to promote the creation of new friendships and strengthen bonds through the power of the shared media,” student leader William Chiang said.

As of Oct. 4, the club only had four members, an improvement over last year’s two members. “They’re hoping for more,” club sponsor Barbara Silcox said.

Despite the lack of members, the club remains confident that their community will grow. “It’s always a joy to see new members,” Chiang said.

While the club doesn’t require a large amount of attendees to function, the club’s desire for more members remains strong. More members would mean “more people having fun,” student leader Dan Usmanov said.

Although the community is tight-knit, this is the club’s sixth year running. However, the club has undergone major changes in the past, including a major change in the club’s overall identity. The club was originally known as Anime Club, and it focused on watching and discussing anime. This is what the club is currently listed as on their Instagram page. “The founders of the club were united because they all like anime,” Chiang said.

However, as more mediums of entertainment were introduced to the club, they saw fit to change their name to the Platinum Screen Club. The name Anime Club wasn’t considered fitting for a group that watches Borat and Family Guy. “We didn’t want to limit ourselves to anime,” Chiang said.

Though the club’s focus has expanded to movies and TV shows of a greater range, there is still room for change in the club this year. “We are planning to expand the variety of media we consume,” Chiang said.

The club looks forward to getting the most out of the new school year. Members are excited to get the opportunity to “watch some movies,” Chiang said.

The club’s meetings make for an opportunity for members to socialize. Its freeform structure provides members with a chance to do whatever they want. One of the most appealing features of the club is the freedom it provides its members to talk to one another, sophomore Brandon Dirk said.

Despite the group’s small size, they remain confident in the strength of their club. “I’m not concerned about anything,” Dirk said.

The club has the potential to make a strong impact on its member’s lives. “I think our club is very powerful, because of how powerful mass media is in our day and age. It has the power to bring people together through a common connection,” Chiang said.

Both members new and old can keep in touch and make announcements via the group’s Discord server. The server has around 30 members, including past members who graduated, Usmanov said.