Patriot Minds Matter strives to help students take step back

Photo by Naeha Muralikrishnan
Junior Rebecca Gao creates an affirmation poster during the Patriot Minds Matter meeting on Oct. 26.

The Patriot Minds Matter Club is looking forward to making the most of the upcoming year in an effort to raise mental health awareness and provide a safe space for students through new club activities.

The school year, and especially at the beginning of the year, can cause challenges in getting accustomed to the academic routine. On top of studying for tests, completing homework and participating in extracurricular activities, the high school student life is notorious for causing immense stress and worry for students. It is imperative that well-being is prioritized and students are able to seek support throughout the school year, especially through student-to-student relationships.

The Patriot Minds Matter club seeks to foster exactly that. “Typically, we plan activities based off of upcoming events. For example, during the AP season we did a bunch of destressing activities. At times, we present slideshows based off of information provided by our partner organization Our Minds Matter. These slideshows will include words of encouragement as well as tips on how to stay mentally well,” junior Rebecca Gao, an officer of the club alongside co-presidents Nico D’Orazio and Sudiksha Purohit, said.

The club is a part of a larger organization called Our Minds Matter (OMM), which has several chapters in schools around the nation. OMM’s mission was to initially prevent teen suicide nationwide. In recent years, the organization has focused more on a student-led model, trying to equip teenagers with the skills needed in order to combat not only teen suicide but also other mental health issues. Using resources from OMM, Patriot Minds Matter offers a balance between the informational and emotional aspects of mental health awareness. While focusing on lecture-based presentations during club meetings, the club also offers students a safe space to express their feelings. “Usually our activities are connected to that meeting’s presentation, allowing students to reflect and apply what they learned into their own lives,” Gao said.

School social worker Alexis Branham is one of the staff co-sponsors of the club. “I think the club is amazing because it is student-led. I know sometimes it’s difficult for students to discuss mental health with adults. This club provides an organized, safe space for students to interact with those who may be having similar experiences and learn vital skills to help support their mental health,” Branham said.

English 9 and AP Language teacher Amani Elkassabany, second co-sponsor, holds similar thoughts. “I’m looking forward to holding a space for students who want to come and share their experiences with each other and feel safe talking about mental health,” Elkassabany said.

During this school year, the club is looking forward to seeing more students getting involved and connected with the club. “Yes, you all are here to learn but you are not able to learn when you are not well mentally. If everyone is on the same page about the importance of mental health awareness in schools, we would all benefit from it,” Branham said.