DECA thrilled for high membership

Photo courtesy @woottondeca
Co-President Kristina Khrimian, VP of Training Alvin Wang, Dylan Xu, and VP of Training Charles Freedman celebrate at the first DECA meeting of the year on Oct. 4.

By holding a fundraiser on Oct. 11 and onboarding and training new members, the school’s DECA chapter strives to prepare for its international competition in the spring.

DECA’s main goal for this school year is to fundraise for its International Career Development Conference, otherwise known as ICDC, in April 2024. “It will be particularly costly this year as it will take place in Anaheim, California. Thus, funding is crucial to support our members and allow them to participate in this life changing experience,” senior and DECA Co-President Kristina Khrimian said.

To do so, DECA has planned different events throughout the school year. One of these happened recently on Oct. 11. “We’re starting off the year strong with a Chipotle fundraiser on Oct. 11. After then, we’re aiming for monthly fundraising opportunities through other creative ways such as bake sales, raffles and social events,” Khrimian said.

DECA continues preparing for ICDC by increasing its membership, one of the club’s biggest accomplishments thus far according to Khirimian. “I think the significant increase in membership (total of 100 members this year) has been a huge achievement. It makes me so proud to see new members join, eager to learn about business concepts and step out of their comfort zones,” Khrimian said.

This substantial increase in members contributes to the necessity of fundraising for ICDC. “Last year, we had over 20 students qualify for internationals and are expecting this number to grow from our highly increased membership,” Khrimian said.

In order to ensure people are prepared and qualify for ICDC, the club’s leadership is actively training its members. Through their club meetings, DECA is “helping members improve their public speaking skills and be confident while presenting,” Vice President of Training Charles Freedman said.

Traveling as a team to competitions such as ICDC contributes to the feeling of unity DECA provides. “The most significant benefit of joining DECA is the community. Everyone is so uplifting and supportive of each other,” junior and club member Katherine Hua said.

DECA, otherwise known as Distributive Education Clubs of America, is a nationwide high school and college organization that prepares students for a career in business. “DECA is an opportunity for students to show off their leadership, presentation, teamwork and time management skills,” last year’s sponsor Margaret Broe said. “It’s a great opening into the business world.”

DECA teaches students a variety of technical skills such as problem-solving, communication and collaboration. “I have greatly improved my speaking, writing and presentation skills,” Freedman said.

The benefits of DECA apply to far more than just school and professional abilities. “Being a part of this club has helped me gain confidence in myself and make new friends,” Hua said.

Broe agrees with Hua. “I’ve seen students step up in leadership roles and become more,” Broe said. “I also liked the way they supported each other.”

With the variety of events DECA has planned, the club’s leadership is enthusiastic for the upcoming season. “I’m really excited for DECA this school year,” Khrimian said.