College representatives visit during fall season

Photo by Shreyas Jindal
Schedule of college visits the week of Oct. 16.

With the start of the new school year comes the hardest time for seniors. The names of colleges start to replay in students’ heads over and over. Since September, colleges have visited this school, ranging from local colleges to schools in California and even schools abroad.

Being a senior means attending college visits. Students visit and tour schools during the weekend and during breaks. “I visited American University over the summer and it was a very interesting experience. As much as I liked visiting the school, there are schools in California that I of course want to visit but that wouldn’t be possible. That’s why the college rep visits are so important to us as students,” senior Anthony Johnson said.

The information that is shared at these events includes what the school is looking for in a student and what they expect applicants to do for the school. They also discuss issues like housing and financial aid. Lastly, the college representatives try to convince students that their college is the best choice for them.

The college visit that happens every year with the most turnout is the University of Maryland. This visit is held in the auditorium as it attracts the most students. UMD is the most popular college among students here because it is the highest-rated public school in Maryland. Tuition is also a big factor as in-state tuition is most affordable for families.

During lunch, Colin Crow, a representative from UMD, gave his presentation. “When I arrived at the auditorium I was surprised to see how many students showed up. The rep gave good information about the university tailoring to all the different students despite many of them going into different majors,” senior Omar Jobe said.

Other colleges that came to visit were New York University, UCLA and Boston.

On Oct. 3, the annual college fair was held with 61 colleges attending, in the upper lot. This was an opportunity for parents and students to learn about colleges. “I had the chance to meet with different reps at the annual college fair. NYU and Boston caught my eye as the representatives from both schools spoke very well and had a very engaging portfolio,” senior Kasra Dokhaee.

The upcoming schools that are visiting include Rochester, Wentworth, Babson and Indiana.