Fall media to spice up your life

Photo used with permission from Google Commons
Characters Lorelei and Rory Gilmore say goodbye to character and real-life journalist and TV host Christiane Amanpour.

As summer comes to a close and the school year begins, the warmth and sunshine turn cold and cloudy. Sweatshirts are worn and UGG boots are put on. Students start listening to calmer music and watching comforting shows. Readers find fall to be the perfect season to read fantasy books.

The “Harry Potter” series by J.K Rowling is one society should enjoy in the fall. The books and movies follow young Harry Potter as he grows up and learns of his magic, as well as his experience at Hogwarts with his best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Harry’s arrival at Hogwarts coincides with the arrival of the fall, which is precisely why book lovers associate them together. “The arrival of autumn kicks off the nostalgia season. We remember childhood Halloween costumes and trick-or-treating, but we also remember the troll in the dungeon, Nearly Headless Nick’s Deathday party, and the resident Hogwarts drama queen Sirius Black bursting into the castle with a knife and a score to settle,” journalist Eloide for Barnes and Noble said.

Another beloved fall piece of media is the show “Gilmore Girls.” In an episode of season one, the character Luke Danes refuses to decorate his diner “Luke’s” for the fall season. Taylor Doose, the owner of Doose’s Market, gets upset with Luke for refusing to decorate. Fans associate the show with autumn because the New England setting frequently includes scenic fall foliage in the background. Multiple episodes of the show also include fall themes such as autumn festivals and Thanksgiving.

Music is another genre associated with seasons. Songs by artists like “The Arctic Monkeys” and “Noah Kahan” became popular during the fall season. Kahan, who grew up in Vermont, often writes his music about living in New England and the fall and winter seasons.

Singer and songwriter Andrew Hozier-Byrne, known professionally as Hozier, whose song “Take Me to Church” has over 1 billion streams on Spotify, released his new album “Unreal Unearth” on Aug. 18. The album has themes relating to Greek mythology, falling in love and unrequited love. His third album perfectly represents the autumn season and the feeling that coincides.