Upcoming local concerts, festivals in DMV

Photo by Sophia Missoi
Lana Del Ray performs at the All Things Go Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Fan favorite song “Born to Die” was played during the set.

The DMV has an abundance of local performances coming up in the next month at venues all over the region as well as concerts that have just recently passed. The DMV has multiple concert venues, including the Anthem, the 9:30 Club, the Merriweather Post Pavilion, the Fillmore and Capital One Arena.

All Things Go is an annual music festival based in Washington, D.C.. This year they had 32 artists performing at Merriweather Post Pavilion, including Lana Del Ray, Boygenius, and Maggie Rogers. The festival was from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1. Doors opened at 11 a.m. both days and performers started at noon, performing until 11 p.m.. Sophomore Jordyn Childs attended the festival on Sept. 30. “I was most excited for Boygenius; my favorite song of theirs is Salt in the Wound,” Childs said.

Merriweather Post Pavilion is set up with the main pavilion stage that has seats at the front, and the lawn toward the back where people usually stand, and has a capacity of over 20,000 people. “I have lawn seats and I got them at face value so they weren’t too expensive,” Childs said.

However, if someone is looking for a lawn seat for the All Things Go Festival it costs $280 to $363 on a resale website including fees, which are usually around $50- $60. “My favorite artist at All Things Go was Lana Del Ray and my favorite song of hers is Ride. I was seated in the lawn section,” sophomore festival attendee Sophia Missoi said.

Another concert that occurred recently was SZA’s concert at the CFG Bank Arena in Baltimore on Sept. 28. SZA originally started her SOS tour back in February where she performed at the Capital One Arena but now she has come back to Baltimore. Junior Serena John was one of 14,000 concertgoers.”My favorite part of the concert was the whole vibe and SZA herself. My favorite song by SZA is Nobody Gets Me,” John said.

Olivia Rodrigo recently announced her tour for her album “Guts,” she will be coming to play at the Capital One Arena next summer on Jul. 20, 2024. Currently, on SeatGeek, tickets are being priced from $331 to $4,000.

Concert prices are rising and according to the Los Angeles Times, there are five factors responsible for the prices of tickets: artists, promoters, the venues that host concerts, the ticketing companies selling tickets and ticket resellers. The average price of a ticket in the past five years has increased from $125 in 2019 to $252 in 2023.

Concerts coming up in the DMV area include Maisie Peters on Oct. 9 at the 9:30 Club, Gregory Alan Isakov on Oct. 13 at the Anthem, Faye Webster on Oct. 17 and 18 at the 9:30 Club, Nessa Barrett on Oct. 24 at Rams Head Live, Renee Rapp on Oct. 27 at the Anthem and Kesha on Oct. 29 at the Anthem.