School-wide tie-dye event promotes unity

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Senior Sofia Gabrielle prepares to tie dye her class shirt by wrapping it with rubber bands on Friday, Sept. 22.

Splanning and class officers ran an in-school tie-dye event on Friday, Sept. 22, on the practice field, which received positive student reviews and promoted school unity, according to attendees.

After students went to their first-period class for attendance and an introductory video, freshmen and sophomores who bought a class shirt made their way outside to the practice field for an hour and a half of tie-dyeing. Meanwhile, the juniors and seniors
played yard games on the football field, watched movies or studied while waiting to partake in the event. After the underclassmen finished tie-dying shirts and their class colors, they rotated with the upperclassmen. “It was a very fun event that Splanning put together very well,” senior Wes Greenberg said.

Student reactions to the event were mainly positive with students across all grade levels expressing their enjoyment. “I enjoyed tie-dying with my friends,” senior Chase Williams said.

Freshman enjoyed their first school-wide experience as well. “My favorite part was that I got to be with my friends and I would be interested in seeing more events like this in the future,” freshman Luke Veizis said.

Despite being considered a success by students, the event did not take place without its fair share of obstacles. Splanners in the tie-dye committee had to figure out logistical details such as how much dye to purchase, how many tables were needed and the number of people needed to help distribute over 1,000 shirts. “The hardest part was figuring out how much of each item to purchase,” senior tie-dye committee leader Sofia Gabrielle said.

The event was designed with the goal of creating unity among grade levels and fostering school spirit early in the year. “I really enjoyed having an event where the whole school could come together,” sophomore class president Mia Coven said.

In addition to Splanning’s goals for the event, Principal Douglas Nelson had his own thoughts about what the event should accomplish. The goal was “to give you [students] a break” and “to remind you [that] you can have fun,” Nelson said.

Along with students, staff members were seen tie-dying as well. “I think the students did really well in planning the event and it was nice to have leaders from every grade. I really enjoyed tie-dying and learning from other people,” senior class sponsor Keith Schwartz said.

As the year continues, students look forward to participating in similar activities. Other school-wide events that Splanning is exploring include a student vs. teacher basketball game, a movie night and a fall festival. “I think we should do events like this more often,” junior Melissa Lee said.

Students who were not aware of the event or disinterested in attending, “gotta stay connected to that flow of information. Give it a second chance. Try it, you might just like it,” Nelson said.

As students showed their support and enjoyment of the event, Nelson’s goals appeared to be achieved. “I hope it is just appreciated by the student body,” Nelson said.