Freshmen have feels about jumping into high school

Photo by Annalise Yi
Freshmen Manu Palmeida, Alex Rabin and Anna Sofronas showed spirit on the field at the first pep rally of the year on Sept.1.

Starting high school can be overwhelming for freshmen. The difference between classes, increased workloads and increased freedom can feel intimidating or confusing. Freshmen are faced with an abundance of new experiences throughout the first few weeks of the school year.

It’s easy to get lost in our bigger, labyrinth-like building. “High school is a tremendous change from middle school because students are given a lot more freedom and independence from picking our own classes to being able to eat lunch wherever we want. I’m excited to meet new people and indulge in new interests,” freshman Anna Sofronas said.

As a freshman, changes are occurring often and rapidly. “The first few weeks have been a little tricky and things are starting to look up,” freshman Casen Linn said.

Compared to middle school, high school workloads are a dramatic change. There is more pressure because every year of high school counts for the future more than classes in middle school.

Social life can also be a change. Both Robert Frost and Cabin John feed into this school, but the people who went to Cold Spring Elementary and Stone Mill feed into Cabin John then Wootton. This separates them from the friends they made who will attend Churchill. “At first, separating from my Cabin John friends was really sad because my whole friend group was going to Churchill. But people did get closer this summer and a lot of us are doing homecoming together. I feel like it wasn’t that hard of an adjustment,” freshman Reya Kurup said.

In high school, you have more freedom when it comes to long-term assignments. In middle school, teachers often check in when assignments are due a while from when they are assigned. In high school, the assistance on work is hindered because as students get older they are expected to have more responsibility when it comes to organizing and getting things done on their own.

Another notable change in high school is choosing your classes. This can be stressful especially when you don’t know the difficulty level of the course, or about the class in general. Electives can be hard because of the wide variety. You chose your classes early the year before which could lead to a change of heart when the new school year begins. It can be difficult, but once you get comfortable in the environment of high school it becomes easier and more fun having newly gained freedom.