Students try tasty new restaurants

Photo by Maya Halpern
A new Hell’s Kitchen restaurant opened at the Wharf in D.C..

Since 2023 began, restaurants have been popping up across the county, providing students with new places to eat and hang out with their friends. From restaurant chains to famous restaurants, there are a variety of delicious new eats everyone should try.

Becoming the fifth restaurant in its chain, Gordon Ramsay opened a Hell’s Kitchen restaurant at the Wharf in D.C.. Hell’s Kitchen is famous due to Ramsay’s reality TV show of the same name. The restaurant has high-end food serving lunch and dinner menus with a variety of appetizers, burgers, seafood and salads. Senior Alexa Vinner visited the new restaurant with her friends and family this summer. “The chefs were yelling different things from the show, and it was cool to hear things I had heard on TV, in person. The food was good but pretty expensive, but it was all worth it for the gorgeous view and the two levels, eating on the second floor,” Vinner said.

In Downtown Crown, approximately 10 minutes away, a new Sweetgreen restaurant has popped up. With a make-your-own salad bar including several different types of meat, there is something for everyone. The former closest location was in North Bethesda, so the new location brings the chain closer to students, allowing them to have their favorite salads more often. Junior Ashley London said, “I loved how quick and easy it was so my friends and I could grab lunch in between extracurriculars. It also was great that all of us had foods we liked, even though we have different eating habits.”

Another chain restaurant opened a new Germantown location on May 11. KPot is a Korean barbeque and hot pot restaurant. After trying the restaurant for the first time with her friends, senior Niki Naderi said, “I really love how you can cook the food yourself and it was so cool how they integrated technology and had an iPad for you to order more food whenever you wanted. The servers bring it right to your table quickly after it’s requested, so it is very convenient. It’s a really fun place to go, especially if you love Borean BBQ or want to try it for the first time. Plus it’s an all-you-can-eat.”

A restaurant called Isaac’s Poultry Market opened in the Potomac Valley Shopping Center on QO Boulevard. The restaurant serves sandwiches for all poultry lovers as well as salads, and is allergen friendly, having a guide for those with different types of allergies. This summer, world history and AP psychology teacher Jenn Bauer had the opportunity to visit the restaurant with her family. Bauer said, “My favorite part was honestly all of it. The chicken and fries were particularly amazing. The restaurant was very small so be careful when you go as it can be crowded, but it is definitely worth it. The place has a very chill vibe, so it was a nice place to be with my family.”