SGA promotes exercise, advocacy with annual spring project

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi

Junior Nico D’orazio and sophomore Emma Yuan throw powder at color run participants on May 19.

Following tradition, the Student Government Association (SGA) planned and presented its spring project last week. This year’s theme was “Get up, get out, GET ACTIVE,” encouraging students to be active both physically and within their community.

Every year SGA’s spring project is on a different theme promoting an important issue. Last year’s project was themed “Patriots Drive Smart” and spread awareness about the dangers of drunk and distracted driving. In previous years, SGA has done projects with themes ranging from the importance of mental health to poverty awareness.

This year’s focus on advocacy was relevant amid a rise in hate-based incidents throughout MCPS. This school has had four separate incidents of swastikas being drawn on classroom desks just this school year. In messages to the school community, Principal Douglas Nelson emphasized the need for education and advocacy for students and staff. “Everyone in the Wootton community must take an active role in standing against hateful acts,” Nelson said.

SGA began planning for the spring project in the first semester of the school year. Students in the SGA class discussed and brainstormed what issues concerned them the most and then voted on the theme in January. “I was really happy with the theme we chose. I think it is especially important with everything that has happened this year and there were so many fun activities we could plan with it,” SGA member and junior Lily King said.

The week of May 15 to May 19 was filled with activity, as a different SGA-sponsored event occurred every day of the week during lunch in the Commons. Monday began with karaoke and musical chairs. On Tuesday, a game of Giant Twister took place. A game of tug of war and friendship bracelet-making also happened later on in the week. “We wanted these activities to bring our school community together and promote being physically active,” rising SGA co-president and junior Zorawar Singh said.

On May 17 SGA hosted an Advocacy Fair in the Commons during lunch to provide students with opportunities to get involved in county-wide advocacy. Student representatives from different groups were there to educate interested students about their organizations. In attendance were student representatives from the Montgomery County Regional SGA, MoCo Pride, Moco Empowher, Compostolgy and Maryland Association of Student Councils. “I think the advocacy fair is important for students at Wootton to learn what organizations are out there for them to join and drive change in their community. It is within many of the organizations that were present at the advocacy fair that I truly found my voice,” Compostolgy representative and junior Emily Liu said.

To end the week, on Friday, May 19 students and staff participated in the school’s first-ever color run, organized by SGA. A Google form was released the week prior allowing students to sign up to receive a free white shirt with “WHS COLOR RUN” written on the front. SGA also ran games on the field for students who were not running to enjoy as they watched.
The run was nearly a mile loop beginning around the track, then up the hill and around the soccer field behind Robert Frost Middle School. SGA students were at spots around the course throwing color powder on the participants. “It was so much fun, I hope SGA does it every year,” freshman Megan Lomotan said.