Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour brings past songs, current commotion

Photo by Lainey Berman

Sophomore Lainey Berman attended the Taylor Swift concert in Atlanta this past weekend. “It was really great and I had such a good time,” Berman said.

Taylor Swift has grown from a teenage country music star to a worldwide phenomenon whose tickets are hard to come by. Swift recently released her 10th studio album called Midnights and has begun her Eras Tour, which will run through the summer. This caused excitement and panic amongst fans desperate to purchase tickets. Ticketmaster, the agency that sells her concert tickets, created hurdles fans had to go through to purchase tickets.

Fans must go online and obtain verified fan codes in order to get in line for the privilege of purchasing a ticket. Numerous fans reported waiting for hours online in a queue only to be told the concert was sold out. Sophomore Lainey Berman said, “Since I was in school and my parents were working I sent my presale code to my aunt and had her log into my Ticketmaster account. The process was super difficult because she got kicked out of the queue a few times. She didn’t get tickets until around 5:30ish and she started trying to purchase them around 10 a.m..”.

The high number of fans overwhelmed the online purchase platform, which crashed several times prior to tickets being sold. Swift plans to perform over 50 concerts in 20 different cities over the span of several months. Fans have traveled to different states to see Swift perform. “I saw the concert in Atlanta since she was not coming to D.C. I was not going to miss out,’’ Berman said.

This tour and its focus on the evolution of her music has created a frenzy for tickets. The result means many of her fans may have to purchase her music online rather than see her in person. Freshman Sami Karcz was among the lucky fans and managed to get tickets for Swift’s concert in Philadelphia on May 13. Karcz said, “I am probably most excited to hear Love Story or Style.”

Junior Catherine Clark was among the unlucky fans who did not manage to purchase a ticket. Clark said, “I was so frustrated by the process of trying to get tickets because the site crashed then I waited an hour and it said insufficient ticket inventory. I kept trying for three days straight but had no luck.”

Fans are going crazy over seeing Swift live since she had not toured due to the Covid pandemic. Fans are thrilled to hear her old music as well as her new music from her recent album “Midnights.” Fans are playing guessing games to figure out Swift’s surprise song that is not on the set list. Karcz guessed that the surprise song for the Philideplia concert will be Getaway Car or New Romantics. Fans that are lucky enough to secure tickets will end up in the concert of a lifetime. The tour is centered around the emotional connections and experiences that touch fans’ hearts.