JV boys’ baseball finishes season 10-4; future looks bright

The boys’ JV baseball team has looked dominant this season, finishing the year with a 10-4 record. The team is optimistic about the future of the program and is ready for varsity next year.

The boys were looking unstoppable to start the season steamrolling their first three opponents by a combined score of 59-2. These would come in a 26-0 win over Paint Branch on Mar. 21, a 10-2 win over Clarksburg on Mar, 23, and a 23-0 win over Seneca Valley on Mar, 30. “It feels really good to start the season like this, but we know we have to be able to beat better teams like this too,” sophomore Tyler Siegel said after the Seneca Valley game.

The Patriots looked to ride the momentum into a tough doubleheader on Apr. 3 against Walter Johnson and Whitman. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they would go 0-2 on the day with two tough losses. The Patriots kept the game close with the Wildcats. The game was all tied up at 3-3 for most of the game, but the Wildcats would go on to score two runs in the seventh, winning them the game 5-3. The second game against Whitman didn’t go any better. The Patriots struggled to put up runs and had a hard time containing the Vikings on offense, allowing 11 runs. The Patriots would lose 5-11, dropping to 3-2 on the season.

Next up on the schedule was Richard Montgomery on Apr. 12, where the boys looked to keep their winning record, and that’s exactly what they did, cruising by the Rockets 15-0, and improving to 4-2 on the season. After a big win, the Patriots had a rematch against Walter Johnson, who handed them a loss earlier in the season. The Patriots would strike first, scoring one run off an error by Walter Johnson. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they weren’t able to stop the Wildcats, and thanks to six runs in the fifth, the Wildcats would win 11-2.

Since the loss to Walter Johnson, the Patriots have posted a perfect 5-0 record to bring their current season record to 9-3. During this stretch the boys had blowout wins, 11-1 against BCC on Apr. 18, and 16-4 against Clarksburg on Apr. 21. They also pulled out some big-time wins, with a 10-6 victory over Churchill on Apr. 20, a 10-9 victory over Quince Orchard on Apr. 22, and a 4-2 win over Blair on Apr. 24. The boys are looking to keep this momentum to finish out the season. “The team has been on a roll and we’re looking to finish out the season like this,” sophomore Matthew Kunst said after the Blair game.

This season the boys have been led by sophomore third basemen Jack Kerns and freshman shortstop Blake Graham, who both have been on fire inside the batting box. Kerns is currently batting .519 and Gramam is batting .467. On the other side of the ball, Kunst and Graham have been dominating on the mound.

The Patriots looked to continue their winning streak in their final two games of the season. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they would have a tough game against Whitman, losing 20-6 on Apr. 26, but would bounce back in their final game of the season beating Rockville 22-11 on Apr. 27. During the Rockville game Graham would hit the first and only homerun for the team this season. “It feels great to end the season with that,” Graham said