Students looking forward to much in fourth quarter

Photo by Rudy Essiomle

The K-pop club performs on Apr. 14 at the last pep rally of the year.

More than three weeks into the fourth and final quarter of the school year, seniors look forward to college, and the quarter brings new ambitions and closure for all.

Coming with the end of the school year are celebrations and parties. For those who participated in the play, CLUE, and musical, Charlie Brown, they will be able to celebrate their work. “I am looking forward to the end of the year theater banquet where we all celebrate our shows and Dr. Lazurus tells us the shows we are doing next year,“ freshman Yumo Wang said.

As AP exams have started, teachers have done boot camps in preparation. Additionally, students have been studying individually so they can get the best score. “I am looking forward to getting done with AP exams and the class parties we will have afterwards,” sophomore Hana El-Herraoui.

For seniors, the school year ends a little bit quicker, as they graduate on May 31. Angelina Hellman is going to college across the state. “It’s bittersweet. I’m happy to leave, but I also feel like I might miss being here a little bit. Just a little, though,” Hellman said.

Wang feels the same way. Though not a senior, there’s a bit of bittersweetness. “I feel kind of bittersweet about the school year almost ending because on one hand, I get a break from school, but on the other hand. I’m really going to miss some of the seniors,” Wang said.

Though it’s almost the end for seniors, it’s a new beginning for students such as freshmen. As their first high school year ends. “It feels kind of scary being almost done being a freshman, but it also means I don’t have to do all the tedious tasks in theater,” Wang said.

Freshman year is that crazy year where everything is brand new: the environment and the students, especially because it’s post-Covid, unlike sophomores who had their freshman year during the opening of schools. “I think it was definitely better than freshman year. The workload seemed like a lot this year. Maybe that’s because we’re transitioning back to normal after post-Covid year,” sophomore Noora Shyr said.

The year has brought new experiences to students. “The year has been really fun. I got to meet and talk to many new people and got to join many new clubs like Patriots Art for Teachers, Amnesty, MSA, and FHS,” El-Herraoui said.

However, there is still room for improvement, as sophomores head to what might be their hardest year. ”I want to improve on my studying habits and on being less of a procrastinator. I think that would really help me feel less stressed in the future,” El-Herraoui said.

As freshmen and sophomores move up the ladder, juniors