School spirit rises after spring pep rally

Photo courtesy Mason Berk

Senior Mason Berk freestyles about the boys’ lacrosse season during the spring pep rally.

The spring pep rally took place on Apr. 14, marking the beginning of the end of the year. Spring sports got introduced, competitions were held and students were energized for the rest of the school year.

Pep rallies at the school only occur three times a year so they are regarded as special events. They are planned by the Student Government Association (SGA), and allow for all students to show school spirit. Freshmen are told to wear red, sophomores wear white, juniors wear blue, and seniors wear the combination of the three. “I like that everyone wears their class colors because it really creates a sense of unity within the class,” junior Holden O’Brien said. 

I loved the K-Pop group. It was the best performance

— Matthew Repie

Although the pep rally generally has the same performers, new this year was the K-Pop Dance Club. They had a choreographed dance to K-Pop songs that was a fresh new addition to the pep rally. “I loved the K-Pop group. It was the best performance,” junior Matthew Repie said. 

During the pep rally, something that stood out occurred when the boys’ lacrosse team were promoting the upcoming game against the rival Churchill team. Senior captain Mason Berk decided to make a freestyle rap of their entire season up to that point. It was both funny and clever, and it caught the attention of everyone in attendance. “My favorite part of the pep rally is when Mason Berk freestyled and talked about the entire lacrosse season. As a member of the lacrosse team I am probably a little biased but it was objectively hilarious and catchy,” Repie said.

Fun events like this need to be added to every pep rally to add life. For the fall pep rally, there was a hot dog eating contest coincidentally also organized by Berk. Principal Doug Nelson, English teacher Evva Starr, science teacher Sanford Herzon, senior Tyler Cosgrove, senior Justin Miller, and sophomore Conner Jackson competed in a race to finish two hot dogs the quickest. Competitions like this are easy to organize and make the pep rallies memorable, as opposed to the repetitive style they generally take. “I think that pep rallies need to continue to add new features because I feel like since my freshman year, every pep rally has been eerily similar,” senior Ethan Kuan said. 

A previous fan favorite at the pep rallies was the group known as the Woottonettes. They are a group generally filled with boys at the school who perform a choreographed dance number. They performed in the fall, but did not perform in the spring. Being a boy-only group became controversial, causing them to disband and sit out the spring. In addition to the Woottonetes, students previously enjoyed pieing teachers in the face. This is another event that did not take place at this pep rally. 

Overall, the spring pep rally was a success. There is not enough time in a pep rally to do every event from every year, making each one unique and special.