Falling into performance season

This year, the fall play will be two one-act plays, “Death” by Woody Allen and “The Devil and Daniel Webster” by Stephen Vincent Benet, which will be performed together to make a full length play. The fall musical will be “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” by William Finn.
“Death” is a dark comedy about a man named Kleinman who is pressured by the public to come up with the best way to catch a maniacal killer.
“The Devil and Daniel Webster” is a literary drama about a man named Jabez Stone, who sold his soul to the Devil and must deliver it at midnight on his wedding day. However, his friend Daniel Webster, lawyer Scratch and wife Mary confront the Devil with him and convince the Devil to hear his case in court with a jury made up of the living and the dead.
The two one-act plays will be performed together and will be directed by ESOL teacher Carla Ingram. One-act plays can consist of several scenes, but only one act, so they are typically much shorter than regular plays. “[The play] is going to be on Halloween weekend and so because of that we’re doing two plays that are spooky and death-themed, so it’s really creepy and really cool,” junior Becca Korn said.
The fall musical is “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” by William Finn and will be directed by choral teacher Keith Schwartz. The one-act musical centers on the quirky teens and adults involved in a spelling bee. Because the musical is only one act, none of the characters go offstage throughout the entire performance, making this musical lively and fun.
Being in the musical is “so much fun,” junior cast member Julia Bergel said. An unusual feature of the fall musical is that it only has nine cast members, which presents unique challenges. “That’s a little stressful because everyone’s on their own vocal part…but it’s a really capable cast and I think we’ll do really well,” Bergel said.
“Death” and “The Devil and Daniel Webster” will be performed from Oct. 28 to Oct. 30 and “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” will be performed from Dec. 2 to Dec. 4.

Rachel Wei

Features Editor