Author Taylor Jenkins Reid releases miniseries ‘Daisy Jones & the Six’

Photo used with permission from Google Commons

Lead singers Daisy Jones (Riley Keough) and Billy Dunne (Sam Claflin) perform together in the Amazon Prime miniseries Daisy Jones & the Six.

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s miniseries adaptation of her book Daisy Jones & the Six and the band’s album “Aurora” was available for streaming starting Mar. 3.

Between the miniseries and the 2019 book, there are core differences, like bassist Pete Loving is in the book while the miniseries adaptation excluded him. Moreover, “in the book, you can see how insane and messy [Daisy] is, in the show you can still see her taking heavy drugs, overdosing, and sneaking off to be with a random prince. But you know, it’s dialed down a little,” freshman Ahmed Ibrahim said.

There has been immense speculation on whether the first fictional band to top the iTunes charts was based upon the real-life band, Fleetwood Mac. In addition to Reid pulling inspiration from ‘70s rock icons and being a fan of Fleetwood Mac, “you can see so many parallels, not only in the band’s characteristics but also in their live performances,” Ibrahim said.

The Six starts playing small birthday parties in Pittsburgh but evolves to performing sold-out shows around the world. The story gives readers and viewers an understanding on their rise to stardom. “It helps me realize how music is made. Movies and shows like Elvis, and Babylon, which were released in the past year, and now Daisy Jones & the Six. They give you an insight on how hard it is to be… and not only be but to become a celebrity as well,” Ibrahim said.

Besides the beautifully written story, the music was co-written by Grammy Award-winning producer Blake Mills. Ibrahim enjoyed “Regret Me” due to the strong vocals and insane lyrics, while freshman Ava Eisenman’s favorite was “Look At Us Now.”

Another fan favorite is the storyline of Camila Dunne, wife of frontman Billy Dunne. “Her story was so emotional, and she had to go through so much. But she kept bouncing back time and time again,” Ibrahim said.

Students were drawn to the book after reading Reid’s TikTok viral books. “I [had] just finished ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo’ and I liked Taylor’s writing,” junior Regan Burns said.

The female lead in the miniseries is portrayed by late rock n’ roll legend Elvis Presley’s granddaughter, Riley Keough. Keough, who had never sung professionally before, along with her castmates, attended an extensive band camp prior to filming. “Even though Elvis’s granddaughter is a nepotism baby, I think it’s impressive how she learned to sing for the show and she’s so good,” Eisenman said.

Students recommend this story for the plot and music. “There’s not one bad female character on this show. All of them are so entertaining and good and interesting. I would be their best friend in a heartbeat,” Ibrahim said.