Should I stay or should I go; Choosing between in-state or out-of-state colleges

Photo courtesy Hope Safai

Senior Hope Safai visits college campuses around the country such as the University of Mary Washington with her family to help guide her decision.

Though it is widely a personal preference, the decision over continuing your education close to home – or far from it – could be logically made.

Seniors at this school are reaching the tail end of high school and making life-changing decisions. Underclassmen anticipating the same experience in the next few years look toward their school’s seniors for guidance. “As a junior we are beginning to talk about college next year a lot, and it’s been helpful talking to seniors about the whole application process. I’m still torn between applying to schools close to home or going out of state,” junior Arjun Ram said.

With the spring season rolling around, the “Peace out Patriots” Instagram account is gaining content. Some seniors have committed to the University of Maryland, staying close by. Senior Jessica Winson sealed the deal with UMD near the end of third quarter. “I chose to go to UMD because it was everything I wanted in a school. They have a really good business school, lots of good sports teams, which comes with tons of school spirit, and different extracurriculars I could really see myself getting involved with,” Winson said.

The University of Maryland is a well-rounded school with plenty to offer, and it is also beneficial to be close to home. “I personally think it’s nice to stay in state as I don’t have to worry about flying out somewhere every time I need to come home. It’s just super easy and efficient to be near home and I know I can see my family as much as I want to. It is also nice to not have to worry about paying for flights along with out-of-state tuition,” Winson said.

Additionally, going to an in-state college almost ensures that there will be someone you are familiar with on campus. Senior Zach Haledjian also made his commitment to Maryland, aiming for his ideal college experience. “I made my decision mostly because I want to be able to come back home easily from campus and because I’ve always wanted to go to UMD. It’s also nice going to an in-state school because so many people from local high schools also are going there along with graduated students I’m friends with. It’ll be fun knowing people there so that I can make more friends and connections through ones I already have,” Haledjian said.
Being thrown into another freshman year at an even bigger school than high school can be stressful, and having friends to go through the change with you can make the transition easier.

On the other hand, other students have chosen to spend the next four years in another state. Senior Hope Safai is weighing her options before making her final decision of which school to attend. Safai is leaning more toward an out-of-state education because, “In-state colleges have lots of benefits such as cheaper tuition and being closer to home but out-of-state colleges allow for a new experience, meeting lots of new people, and learning to be more independent because you’re farther away from your home,” Safai said.

Senior Josh Mirsky committed to Lehigh University in Pennsylvania as a pre-med student. “Going out of state was an obvious choice for me because I’ve always wanted to get out my hometown and broaden my perspectives. I’ll get to experience places outside from where I’ve grown up and get a change in scenery,” Mirsky said.

Going out-of-state offers an opportunity to make connections with people from different regions of America, and allows for a new perspective on different communities. Along with a new setting, there is a higher chance of making new friends. Since it is less likely for familiar faces to be seen around campus, it enables students to branch out and meet new people. “I’ve grown up with the same friends throughout most of my high school years and it’ll be a change for me to branch out. It’ll also be a big change for me leaving my twin brother since we’ll be attending schools 18 hours away from each other,” Mirsky said.

Out-of-state college can be especially beneficial for those who are looking for a bigger change from high school. Staying in Maryland, in the same setting, with a lot of the same people may feel stifling. Students may want to take the opportunity of college to get away from home and grow as an individual.