Students, teachers look forward to spring break

Photo used with permission from Wikicommons

Spring breakers enjoy their free time in Panama City.

As the third quarter of the school year comes to an end and the long period of time from January and March without any breaks has an end in sight, students and teachers both begin to recognize that they can now relax and take a deep breath. Their days of hard work will be rewarded with a 10 day spring break where they can lounge about and de-stress.

When most people picture spring break, they picture laying out in the sun, on a beach and in a different country. Sophomore Reva Gargi is planning to do exactly that as she and her family are traveling to India this spring to visit family. “I’m excited for spring break because school has been a lot and this semester has been busy for me. Classes are giving a lot of work and I need to take a break from that and be in a different mindset. I’m looking forward to being in a different time zone,” Gargi said.

Freshman Ksusha Ulyanova isn’t traveling to a tropical country but looks forward to having free time to herself. “I am beyond excited. Going from having lots of breaks in school around winter time to having essentially none is definitely a struggle. But looking forward to spring break has made me motivated. I would tell myself ‘I just have a little left and then a break’. I’m not going anywhere but it’s a good time for me to relax and take care of myself,” Ulyanova said.

Other students aren’t so lucky, finding that May, the month of AP classes, is only coming quicker. Sophomore Ojas Tare is currently taking three AP classes: AP Physics, AP Seminar and AP Computer Science. “Of course I’m happy for spring break but unfortunately, I have three AP tests to study for so that’s how I’m spending my free time this spring break,” Tare said.

Students are not the only ones anticipating a break from school. “I am looking forward to seeing my family that lives in Florida because we have all kinds of family coming in for my son’s bar mitzvah. This part of the school year is infamously known as the grind so I’m looking forward to having a break and relaxing,” English and theater arts teacher Dr. Julian Lazarus said.

Other students, though glad for the upcoming break, believe it’s unfair how short the break is. “I’m going to Spain for 10 days, specifically Madrid and Malaga. I’m using up all of my break time. Personally, I think that both spring break and winter break need to be longer. We deserve more time,” senior Anjali Gallacher said.

Despite the grade or the position within the school, spring break is approaching and people are relieved.