Students make plans for next four years

Image courtesy peaceoutpatriots23

The “peaceoutpatriots23” Instagram feed shows seniors who have committed to colleges.

It’s January and seniors have finished applying to the colleges they want to attend next fall. When students are accepted and committed to a college, they can fill out a form on the Instagram page “peaceoutpatriots23”, and the account will post an image of the college, the student’s major, and a picture of the student.

Senior Fiona Lin committed to Boston University. Lin said, “When I first toured the campus about five to six years ago with my brother, I immediately fell in love with the campus. I loved the city, and when I researched more about my major, it only drew me in there more.”

Students can choose their roommates, mainly through social media or current relationships, or have roommates randomly selected by the school. Lin said, “My plan for finding roommates in college is to go around through social media platforms and find people with similar interests as me.”

She planned to apply to around eight schools, starting with Boston University. Lin said, “I was planning on applying to seven to nine schools, but Boston University was the first school I applied to and the first school I heard back from. I am going to major in psychology and neuroscience.”

Students have the option, once accepted or when applying to schools, to apply for several different scholarships through the school. Senior Jibran Shaikh committed to Colby College in Waterville, ME. Shaikh said, “I applied for a scholarship program and Colby was one of my safeties per se; out of 15 schools for scholarship I put in as my 13th. I don’t know much about it, but the financial promise they had was too hard to pass up.”

Shaikh plans to major in something within the field of computers. Shaikh said, “I want to major in a computer related field. I have initially hedged towards computer science, but recently, I have had interest in computational biology. As a first gen college student, I don’t really have much inspiration on what to major in, but I guess I will learn as I go.”

Senior Maya Amanuel committed to MICA, Maryland Institute College of Art. Amanuel said, “MICA fit my requirements for a college the best, and I got accepted.”

Amanuel applied to two schools total. MICA does not have specific majors when you first apply. Amanuel said, “At MICA you apply for a major in your freshman year but I plan on majoring in animation.”

Amanuel plans to find roommates through a discord server created by the college. Amanuel said, “MICA makes a discord server later in the year to connect enrolling students, that’s how I plan to find roommates.”