Students mourn shutdown of GradeView app

Screenshot by Mandy Schoen

This screen appears when a student attempts to open the GradeView app.

If you have a 89.7% in class, and your last test is 30 points, what score do you need to get in order to keep your A? With the app GradeView, any student could see how potential scores would impact their existing grades within seconds. However, on Dec. 22, 2022, GradeView was shut down due to legal troubles, much to the dismay of students around the school.

GradeView, formerly MCPSHelper, was an app created in October 2017 by Seth Setse, a Sherwood junior at the time. The app is an alternative to StudentVue, allowing students and parents to view their grades in all seven classes by simply inputting their student ID and password. What made GradeView special, however, was a feature that gave students the ability to input additional assignments and simulate changes to their grade. Though it was originally intended for MCPS students, the app has grown tremendously in users and features over the last five years, expanding to other counties and even states.

GradeView was permanently shut down due to confidential legal reasons that Setse says he can not discuss and are out of his control. “I understand that this news will upset many students and I am sorry to those who feel let down but please understand I have exhausted all the options available to me and the app’s shutdown appears inevitable,” Setse shared in an Instagram post.

Students from all grades seem to have a unanimous negative reaction to the removal of the app. “With GradeView, it was a lot easier to access my grades and add grades in myself. I loved being able to see how my grade would be impacted by tests or quizzes that had not yet been scored. It was extremely helpful for many of my friends so we will definitely be missing it,” junior Jessica Chen said.

GradeView lowered stress levels by eliminating the element of uncertainty in the grading system, giving each student a chance to explore all possible outcomes. “If I didn’t have enough time to catch up on all my assignments, GradeView helped me see what work would impact my grade the most so I know what I needed to prioritize. It is a looming change that will definitely have an impact on how I approach the end of the semester. I’m just glad I’m graduating in the spring,” senior Josh Mirsky said.

Though GradeView was created for beneficial purposes, the app had a downside in the eyes of the staff. “I completely understand why students find it helpful. However, from a math perspective, because the material builds on itself, if a student could figure out they could fail a quiz and maintain their same grade, they might not study or learn that material. That could negatively impact them down the line. But if it’s solely used to relieve anxiety, then I think it’s fine,” math teacher Madison Averill said.

Now, when students log onto the app, they are met with a screen that announces GradeView’s shutdown. However, a small number of students still have full access to the app and all of its features, despite it being permanently disbanded and removed from the app store. Senior Dani London is one of the only students still able to use GradeView with its full capabilities. “I feel special, but I’m not sure why it still works for me,” London said.

Setse strongly recommends against anyone attempting to recreate GradeView. He advises all students wishing to get into App Development to pursue a different route that will not face as many obstacles as GradeView did. “To the students who used my app, I want to say thank you for supporting me these past couple of years. I was so happy to see all the support from students and from people expressing their sadness about GradeView shutting down. I hope that the app was able to help you in some way and I’m sorry it went away so abruptly, I wish you all the best in your education and career going forward and I hope you continue to keep up with my development work and watch out for some interesting new future projects,” Setse shared.

MCPS students are thankful for the app while it lasted, and mourn its eventual shutdown.