Students, teachers reading variety of books

Photo by Sarah Nanos

Students who wish to read more books can find a variety of genres in the Media Center.

On a sunny day in the courtyard, senior Kyley Kaplan reads “Jane Eyre,” by Charlotte Brontë. In the library, freshman Ahmed Ibrahim reads “I’m Glad my Mom Died,” by Jennette McCurdy. In his office, physical education teacher James Long reads “The Devil’s Hand,” by Jack Carr.

Reading is a huge part of our daily lives and it means so much to people. Not only is it entertaining and interesting, but it is also helpful for your health.

One of the books that students are currently reading in their AP Literature class is “Jane Eyre,” by Charlotte Brontë. Kaplan said, “It’s a love story. It’s about this girl who is an orphan, who had a really bad childhood and then how she grows up. I think it’s good. There was a major plot twist in the story and I really liked that and I love a good plot twist.”

A book that recently just came out is “I’m Glad My Mom Died,” by Jennette McCurdy. Ibrahim said, “It’s about Jennette McCurdy’s struggles with being a child star and how her mom was an abusive freak and how the environment wasn’t good for her. My favorite part was probably when she spoke about Dan Schneider and how he put them up to standards that they couldn’t live to, and how she was compared to her co-star, Ariana Grande. It’s so good. It’s a perfect read.”

Thriller books are popular as well. Physical education teacher James Long is reading “The Devil’s Hand,” by Jack Carr. Long said, “It’s about a former Navy seal and his adventurous exploits. It’s also one of the sequels to a television show called the Terminal List on Amazon Prime. I like that it’s kind of dark and they tell a story that isn’t superficial or fake even though it’s fiction.”

According to Healthline, reading is beneficial to our life. One way that reading is beneficial to our life is that it strengthens our brain. “Brain scans showed that throughout the reading period and for days afterward that brain connectivity increased,” according to Healthline.

Reading also increases your ability to emphasize with other people. “Research has shown that people who read literary fiction show a heightened ability to understand the feelings and beliefs of others,” according to Healthline.

Another reason that reading is good for you is that it builds your vocabulary. Researchers have found that, “students who read books regularly beginning at a young age, gradually develop larger vocabularies,” according to Healthline.

Reading books can help you manage your stress, according to Everyday Health. “Reading can help to reduce stress levels providing a much needed respite from the challenges of daily life. When you’re lost in a good book, your body begins to relax and your breathing slows down. This can lead to a decrease in heart rate and blood pressure which can promote overall feelings of well being,” according to Everyday Health.