New athletic trainer partially fills vacancy

Photo courtesy Emily Strobino

Athletic Trainer Emily Strobino oversees football game at Watkins Mill.

There continues to be a shortage of athletic trainers impacting MCPS and school districts across the state. This raises the question about whether or not MCPS is taking enough action to protect their student athletes.

According to MCPS athletics, vendors are working tirelessly to hire the remaining positions. Vacant full-time positions are being filled based on the availability of athletic trainers, including commuting distance for the candidate. All schools without a full-time athletic trainer are receiving part-time in-person coverage, as well as other resources and support.

Emily Strobino is an athletic trainer who undertook the newly vacant position at this school.Though she does not work full time here, Strobino attended her first game on Oct. 14. “I just moved here in July. I’m not directly employed through MCPS, but there are a few companies that are contracted to employ the athletic trainers in the high schools. I’m employed by Pivot, who is responsible for the coverage at Wootton, as well as a few other schools,” Strobino said.

Strobino grew up in Charlotte, NC, and attended Lenoir-Rhyne University. She later went to grad school at UVA to earn her master’s degree in athletic training. “When I was in college you had to graduate from an accredited program to be eligible to sit for the national certification exam. I knew it was going to change soon to require a graduate degree, so I also got my masters in athletic training. You have to go to grad school now,” Strobino said.

She graduated in 2008 and has been certified ever since. Inspiration for her career path stemmed from her exposure to athletes and sports throughout her life. “I was an athlete all of my life and having the exposure to an athletic trainer in high school, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I also spent time on collegiate soccer sidelines and with the team because my childhood best friend’s dad was a coach. I got exposure to their athletic trainer as well, and grew even more interested in doing it,” Strobino said.

There were many people in her life that acted as role models for her goals. Not only did Strobino observe athletes, but she participated in a variety of athletic programs and sports teams. “In high school I played soccer all four years, volleyball for one, and swam for three. I also played softball until middle school and basketball through middle school. I walked on for soccer in college, but didn’t play my senior year,” Strobino said.

The expertise in athletics began from a young age, having experience in multiple sports early on. As a previous athlete, Strobino is able to relate to current student athletes and is well qualified in assisting and advising them.

Strobino jumped right into a heavy workload upon moving here. She juggles working at multiple schools in MCPS. “Because I joined toward the end of the season, there weren’t too many conflicts in covering both schools for fall sports. When there were things that overlapped, I just tried to balance it out the best I could. It will probably be a bit more of a challenge for winter sports, but I will split up the events I cover for each school,” Strobino said.

Overall, an abundantly athletic childhood shaped Strobino’s future in athletic training. “The best part of the job is being there through the good days and bad, and helping an athlete return to the sport they love after an injury,” Strobino said.