Prevent getting sick this year

Photo courtesy Beverlee Diamond

Sophomore Bianca Diamond prepares to blow her nose to prevent furthering her sickness.

The changing of seasons is a hotspot for catching illnesses. Whether it’s the flu, Covid or the common cold, everyone is trying to avoid getting sick.

There are easy ways to prevent sickness and disease such as washing your hands, drinking water, not touching your mouth and face, getting sleep and not sharing food or drinks with friends. Senior Zach Haledjian said, “I always wash my hands right when I get home after school so I can wipe all the germs away.”

There are risks of catching illnesses in schools. It is good to be aware of who’s around you. If someone is coughing it is advised you move away and continue to wash your hands right away. Sophomore Bianca Diamond said,” Whenever I encounter someone coughing or sneezing I simply move away.”

Diamond hasn’t gotten sick this school year and hopes it stays that way. Another way sickness is spread is by sharing foods and drinks. Colds are easily transmitted by close contact and sharing food and drinks. Senior Kaitlin Mariani said, “Whenever people ask me for a bite of food or sip of water I always say no because you never know who is carrying an illness.”

During the pandemic, not many people were sick with other diseases due to the fact that people were not in school and coming in close contact with other students. Masks also helped prevent the spread of illnesses. As of now students who are sick or show flu and cold symptoms wear a face mask to help protect other people. Freshman Megan Lomaton said, “When the peak of Covid-19 was taking place, I rarely got sick because I was at home most of the time.”

This shows that being in school and around other people increases the risk of getting sick. When the seasons change there is also a high risk of allergy flare ups. These allergic reactions usually consist of the same symptoms of the cold and flu, confusing people of what their diagnosis really is. Diamond said, “My allergies are terrible, especially in the fall and spring. A lot of people think I have a viral illness but I am just struggling with allergic reactions.”

Another way to prevent getting sick is getting eight or more hours of sleep per night. A good night’s rest is crucial for staying healthy and alert. Junior Lizzie Misovec said, “I try to get at least eight hours of sleep per night especially during soccer season so I can stay as healthy as possible after being with a lot of different people.”

Drinking water solves most problems. Drinking water can be crucial to reduce the risk of getting sick. Junior Daniel Son said, “I make sure to drink at least a gallon of water a day, I’ve noticed that it helps me feel better overall and internally prevents sickness.”