Do it yourself in Fashion Club

Photo courtesy Eliza Pothitou

Students in Fashion Club embroider by attaching a cloth to an embroidery hoop and create designs with embroidery thread.

For people who care about how they look, fashion is a huge part of life. Whether it is following online trends, shopping for new clothes or creating a unique style, fashion has shaped teens.

The Fashion Club is an outlet for inspiring students to be updated on the latest trends. The club is currently run by the two new presidents: seniors Eliza Pothitou and Whitney Hill. Pothitou and Hill both joined the fashion club over quarantine because they wanted to make new friends. “I love fashion because it is a great outlet for creativity,” Hill said. “You notice trends and what people are wearing. I enjoy sewing because I can design my own clothes.”

Members are encouraged to create their own style. Most already do, whether it is altering thrifted clothes or creating their wardrobe entirely from scratch. During monthly meetings, members are able to create and update their own clothes by making patchwork jeans, clay rings and painted skeleton ribs on black jackets with bleach.

This year, the presidents are hoping to work on spreading the importance of sustainable fashion and advocate for an inclusive fashion industry. They are also looking forward to having meetings more than once a month. “Each meeting, we research projects and start fundraisers for materials,” Pothitou said.

Ceramics teacher Malinda Pierce has been club sponsor for 10 years. She has watched the fashion club grow. Members have modeled for a fashion show, heard speakers from around the world in the fashion industry and participated in sewing and craft projects. “I love fashion because it is something everyone can learn and benefit from,” Pierce said. “Being able to alter and sew your own clothes is practical and fun. I have had many students who continue to sew, crochet, embroider and express themselves through fashion both outside of class and years later.”

As an arts teacher, Pierce believes that fashion – as well as any form of art – provides a
way for students to express themselves. “These creative endeavors often become lifelong interests that can be used to bring joy while managing stress,” Pierce said. “The lessons learned in art classes go well beyond making things. They teach us to think critically and work through a problem.”

The club has helped people deal with stress during quarantine. Through Zoom calls,
members were still able to express their creative side through projects. They used materials provided to them by the presidents to craft clay rings and paint designs on their sweatpants. Finding a new hobby has helped people keep their mind occupied during the pandemic. According to Bizjournals, six out of 10 Americans picked up a new hobby during quarantine. Studies have shown that hobbies such as sewing or playing an instrument drastically improve mental health.

The Fashion Club allows members to explore their style and make new friends. It is
open to everyone no matter the skill level, as long as they enjoy making something new.