Sophomore planning: The backbone behind the class of ‘25

Photo courtesy Emily Teague

Sophomore Planning decorated a quarter of the courtyard on Sept. 16 as part of the homecoming festivities.

Sophomore Planning is inviting new members to join in order to bring diversity to the ideas for future student events in the community and provide opportunities for students to be involved.

According to the @WoottonClassof2025 Instagram account, Sophomore Planning is allowing students to join in planning events such as school fundraisers, prom and junior banquet. It is run by the officers for the 2025 class as well as any sophomore members who decided to sign up. This club offers chances for members to be heard and directly contribute to the outcome of events held by the school. Sophomore Vice President Noah Friedman said, “The class of 2025 planning is a general source of structure for the grade’s students.”

They help plan just about every event hosted by the school for people in the community. The club is currently planning two major events for the near future. “Our participation in the fall festival and POTH, putting on the hits,” Friedman said.

There are benefits and joy for members as they get the chance to propose designs for big activities that students attend. Members are proud to call themselves a core piece of all of the events held by the school. “My favorite part is getting to connect with the grade and be involved in planning events that will be fun and engaging,” Friedman said.According to Friedman, the club meets whenever they feel the need to, such as when an activity 

is coming up. They send an email out to everyone who signed up and post about it on their Instagram, @WoottonClassof2025. The meetings are held during lunch, making them accessible to anyone who would like to participate. Sophomore Jack Kerns said, “I really like the intention of the club because it allows students to pitch ideas for events that members of the community attend.”

According to club leadership, there are about 30 current members of Sophomore Planning, which brings diversity and different perspectives, causing a more enjoyable and interesting experience for students. All of them contribute to the outcome and enjoyment students and families have these functions. “It’s fun knowing that one of the members could make a proposal that directly causes students to have a more enjoyable time and that they may possibly have a memory of for years to come,” Kerns said.

The club members work to fulfill their goals as a club, especially long-term. It is important to them to fulfill and exceed the expectations students have. “[We aim] to have enough money for all future events to be as amazing as they should be and bring spirit to the class and school,” Friedman said.

This club started as Freshman Planning and will eventually become Junior Planning next year. The class’ senior year is when it finally becomes Senior Planning, also known as Splanning, where students are required to take the class in order to be a part of the club, instead of having  occasional meetings during lunch.