Wootton Activists kicks off with promising start to school year

Photo courtesy Wootton Activists Instagram

Officers Lindsey Walter, Emily Liu, Ishani Tyagi and Nico D’Orazio present their current topic about President Joe Biden’s marijuana pardons.

Hosting meetings every second Friday at lunch in room 141, the Wootton Activists are a non-partisan club that encourages students to get involved with local, regional, and national politics through various activities.

The Wootton Activists, established in 2017, is a non-partisan high school student organization that encourages students to become politically active. Since the Wootton Activists are non-partisan, they are not biased and thus do not advocate for anything specifically, but they do always try to educate those who join the club on various issues. For instance, the Wootton Activists secretary, junior Emily Liu, said that while the club is non-partisan and educational so members can form their own opinion, Liu said that she provides awareness for “climate justice and educational equity.”

This is furthered by the Wootton Activists president, senior Ishani Tyagi, who said that instead of advocating for something specifically as a club, the Wootton Activists, encourage “members to ask questions and research, and not to agree or disagree with any side or politician blindly.”

The Wootton Activists try to engage members by reinforcing education and awareness. Examples of educational tools that the Wootton Activists utilize are various graphics and guides
on their Instagram on how to deal with certain issues or actions, whether it be finding reliable
sources or a how-to about testifying to the MCPS Board of Education. However, as Tyagi said, the Wootton Activists as a club “do not testify to the Board of Education,” but it is very much encouraged.

The Wootton Activists also post on their Instagram information in regards to events that will be taking place, such as guest speakers or the SMOB Forum. Tyagi, said that the Wootton Activists attempt to get people politically involved with the issues they care about, and, in order to do so, host “speakers who have talked about gun control, as well as a State Attorney candidate, Tom DeGonia, phone banking for Tedra Cobb, and going to the Women’s March.”

In addition to hosting speakers such as Tom DeGonia and Ashwani Jain in conjunction with the group outings at various protests occurring locally, the Wootton Activists also host the SMOB (Student Member of the Board) Forum, an event where current students running for SMOB answer questions that those attending the forum pose. Furthermore, the Wootton Activists have also hosted, in the past, “activism night” where “people from political organizations, and students, […] learn and talk to one another about political advocacy,” Tyagi said.

While activism night has been discontinued for three years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Wootton Activists are hopeful in that they are “hoping to [host an activist night] this year,” Tyagi said.

The Wootton Activists are a student-led community that tries to bring students together to
learn about politics and the world around them. As the club sponsor, Spanish teacher Tamara
Hounshell said the club allows collaboration between students in order “to discuss and improve
issues that different communities face.”