Gaithersburg football game ends in chaos; Students arrested

Photo courtesy ABC 7News

Police officers rush to the Gaithersburg parking lot on Sept. 16 in an attempt to control student aggression.

Five people were arrested on Sept. 16 after a bench-clearing fight at a football game at Gaithersburg against Northwest; several changes to the school’s future athletic events are already being enacted. 

After a fight occurred between the two teams on the field; the Gaithersburg and Northwest football teams were separated. Then, according to multiple sources, the coaches began to engage as well. As players were being sent back to their benches a “video appears to show Gaithersburg athletic director choking Northwest head coach, Travis Hawkins,” Twitter user @ShalomA15_ said. 

In the third quarter, after the first two fights, the game was called and spectators were instructed to leave but while exiting, a third fight occurred in the parking lot of Gaithersburg resulting in a total of 15 separate altercations. 

Due to the fights occurring at Gaithersburg, students must now present a student ID to enter. Other school-aged spectators must bring an adult chaperone if they don’t attend either competing schools. Reentry and entry after halftime are now prohibited. “While there will be potential gatherings at halftime and postgame, large gatherings will not be allowed during the game itself,” Principal Doug Nelson said. 

At the school, another gate will be opened to prevent the crowding of students and spectators, also allowing visiting students and fans to get to their side of the field in a safer manner. “Ultimately the goal is to provide a safe venue to have a game,” Athletic Specialist Alton Lightsey said. 

These policies are affecting the student experiences of athletic events, especially football games. Students from middle schools, primarily Cabin John and Frost, come to support the school during these games and due to the new policies are unable to attend without parent supervision at all times. “I also feel frustrated because the policies take away middle schoolers’ fun and freedom,” Cabin John student Malia Bellamy said.

Middle school students are not the only students who are affected by these new policies. A primary part of the student experience at these games is gathering with friends at these games to support the football team, and because of the new policies this isn’t possible anymore. According to Lightsey these policies have already been in place but are now being enforced to ensure students’ safety at the athletic events. Although Bellamy believes “they made these policies to avoid fights and to keep the community safe,” other students “find the new policy unnecessary or just flat out stupid, which is understandable since the county in previous years has been negligent to enforce these types of policies,” senior class President Max Choi said.

While police were trying to prevent the fighting in the parking lot, other fights continued to break out, resulting in the arrest of two 13-year-old boys, two 17-year-old girls and a 19-year old man for assault. According to Nelson, none of the arrests made in the parking lot were students from either competing schools. Gaithersburg Police are still currently investigating the events of the night and the repercussions for both teams and coaches involved.