BBQ Club Hosts tailgates before home football games

Photo by Tyler Buzy

Seniors Evan Lewis, Mason Berk, Ryan Kunst and Allie Museles serve grilled burgers and hot dogs to students.

Sasha Sampaio, features editor

Students are invited to meet in the upper parking lot, next to the field of the school before home football games at 5:30 p.m. to have burgers, hotdogs, chips, drinks, backyard games, face paint and music. 

Tailgates are social events usually held on and around the open tailgate of a vehicle. They primarily take place in the United States and Canada, to get people together while barbecuing and grilling food. Tailgates commonly occur before college football games and most stadiums open their lots either four or five hours before kickoff. 

In the beginning of the tailgate students all gather together and begin preparing for the football game. Students put on spirit wear and paint depending on what the theme of the game is.

During the tailgate, the crowd of students will grow and students will be eating snacks and burgers, while talking with their friends and playing backyard games. Students also talk to one another and spend time together while listening to music and waiting for the game to start. 

Senior  grill master Kaitlin Mariani  makes preparations before each tailgate. Mariani and the other grill masters have to brainstorm to decide what they will need and what steps to take to encourage students to come. “We have to gather supplies and select a grill and determine what games should be put out and prepare everything,” Mariani said.

Mariani encourages everyone to go to the tailgates because there is so much to do and the grill masters and sponsors put a lot of work into planning it. “It’s a great experience and the food is so good you wouldn’t want to miss it,” Mariani said.

Junior Iago Velasquez went to his first tailgate and has never experienced anything like it before. “I have never been to a tailgate before. It was a good experience and I really enjoyed it. It’s cool to see how spirited and excited everyone gets for the game,” Velasquez said.

Velasquez was able to do different activities and spend time with his friends before the game. “I usually don’t really go to football games but I went after soccer practice since all my friends were going and had a good time,” Velasquez said.

Senior Zach Haledjian thinks having tailgates before games is a good idea. “I usually go to tailgates with my family or friends at the University of Maryland so having one at school is cool,” Haledjian said.

Since it is Haledjians last year of high school he is trying to go to all the school events for the memories and experiences. “I am friends with the grill masters and like the food,” Haledjian said.

Clean up is at 6:20 p.m. therefore, it is important to get there before burgers and food run out. Students must wear their BBQ club shirts or have purchased a shirt to receive food.

The grill masters want as many students as possible to come to the tailgates. “Everyone should come for a fun time,” Mariani said.