Families4Families, NHS launch successful final food drive

Photo courtesy Annable Bunten

Sophomore Families4Families co-president Elena Filbert organizes grocery bags to be donated to Hope and a Home.

The Families4Families club held its final food drive on Apr. 26. Non-perishable foods, essential items and lightly-used shoes were all collected. The National Honors Society aided in the drive. 

The Families4Families Club has held five food drives this year and, in the past two years, the club has donated over 20,000 meals to community members in need. Food drives have been held about once a month, in front of the auditorium. “In a community, we all need to help each other. I know that if I were ever in need, members of my community would step in to help me,” sophomore Nico Dorazio said.

Families4Families is a local organization in the DMV that provides materials for student-run clubs to operate. The organization pairs student clubs from a school or neighborhood with a local nonprofit charity. Other MCPS schools such as Whitman, B-CC and Walter Johnson have Families4Families clubs at their schools.

Wootton Families4Families delivers donations to Hope and a Home, a non-profit operating in DC whose goal is to create stable housing for low-income families and provide higher education opportunities. Hope and a Home provides opportunities for people to give time, money and donations. “People can help their communities by donating at food drop-offs and volunteering. I volunteer as much as I can and it goes such a long way,” sophomore Elena Filbert said. 

Throughout this year the Families4Families club has met one to two times a month to plan drop-offs, discuss deliveries and decide which type of foods they need. The club uses a SignUpGenius to track donations. 

The National Honors Society has also taken part in the food drives throughout the year. NHS members could make donations and receive hours, which are necessary to take part in the club. Junior Anya Sander volunteered and donated at the last drive. “I think it’s important to stay connected with the community and support it so we can all move forward together,” Sander said.

Families4Families uses its Instagram (@wootton_f4f) to provide information for both club and non-club members. Even though the club has just finished its last drop-off, they plan on returning next year with more food drop-offs and volunteer opportunities.