Allergy season is upon us

Sophomore Georgina Kaddu blows her nose is in the library during lunch. Allergy season is my least favorite season because it makes my eyes and nose itchy, Kaddu said.

Photo by Niki Naderi

Sophomore Georgina Kaddu blows her nose is in the library during lunch. “Allergy season is my least favorite season because it makes my eyes and nose itchy,” Kaddu said.

As spring rolls by, seasonal allergies  affect students, teachers and athletes. Sophomore Catherine Clark feels allergies are affecting her learning environment. “When I am sneezing my nose gets tickly and I can’t focus on my work,” Clark said.

Clark experiences symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, congestion and itchy eyes. which has been affecting her ability to see. “Let’s say my eyes itch, it affects my ability to see because I am constantly itching my eye,” Clark said.

Medication can help with allergies such as Zyrtec and Claritin. “I believe Zyrtec really does help me throughout the day. I take it every morning,” Clark said.

Health teacher Tony Pykosh is also a soccer coach outside of school. His team competes in an elite clubs national league. He feels as if allergies haven’t affected his players ability to play the game. “I would say not really, I haven’t noticed much of a difference,” Pykosh said.

Pykosh has two sons, Ryan who is nine and Nicholas who is 12. Ryan plays soccer and flag football and Nicholas swims and plays soccer. Nicholas has bad seasonal allergies compared to Ryan. “For Nicholas, he has bad seasonal allergies. He will get very itchy eyes, a runny nose and sneeze a lot,” Pykosh said.. “He has to take Claritin and when he goes outside to play he has to take a shower to take all the pollen off. Poor kid.” 

Nurse Stanice Okoroha has been here for about a year. Many people come into the nurse with allergy-like symptoms. “Some of the symptoms are the same as Covid. For example, some people sneeze, some have runny noses and a sore throat. Most of these symptoms are symptoms of Covid so one can mistake and say they’re suffering from Covid when they’re not,” Okoroha said.

A test is the only way to prove if one has Covid. People who have symptoms are infectious. “People who are experiencing symptoms are infectious. One who is having symptoms can get others sick,” Okoroha said.

So what can students do to help with their symptoms and prevent others from getting sick? “Stay away from crowds, always wear your mask, wash your hands often and clean your surfaces well,” Okoroha said.

Students should be cautious with their symptoms and their surroundings, making sure what they touch is clean. “Whatever you approach, make sure you clean every time,” Okoroha said