Students traveled the world over spring break

Photo by Bianca Diamond

Freshman Bianca Diamond spends her spring break in Israel. She traveled to places such as the Negev Desert where she saw camels.

Spring break: the week everyone looks forward to after a long winter. People may choose to stay home or to travel to a new or familiar vacation spot. As the rate of Covid-19 cases decline, people may still be worried about where the hotspots for high Covid risks were for this year’s spring break. According to the CDC, high risk locations were Gulf Shores, AL, Panama City, FL, and Miramar Beach, FL. The low risk locations were San Diego, CA, Cape Cod, MA, Myrtle Beach, SC, Outer Banks, NC, and Hilton Head, SC. Other places that aren’t listed are still considered to be Covid safe. 

Freshman Bianca Diamond traveled to Israel. “It was an absolutely amazing experience to travel there and also visit my sister who has been living there for the past year. It was so hard to leave and come back to school,” Diamond said. 

Diamond also had to deal with the hardships of being jet lagged. While the majority of people traveled by plane, others traveled by car. Junior Kailtin Mariani drove to visit her family in Pennsylvania over break. Mariani said, “I’m glad it was a short trip to visit my family because long trips and plane rides can be stressful.” 

The weather at home this year during spring break was warm and sunny almost the whole time. “Since the weather was warm here in Rockville,  I knew the weather would be mostly the same in Ocean City so I decided to leave early one morning and drive there for the day.” Sophomore Lindsey Mcney said. “During the other nice days, I would go hiking with my friends, or hangout in my grandmother’s pool.” Mcney said.

Members of the senior class took a trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Senior Helana Hansen said, “It was a great experience that I was so grateful to attend and something I will never forget. It was a great way to get closer with my classmates and just have a good time all around.” 

Senior Nicole Jezek, who also attended the trip to Punta Cana said, “I met a lot of new people from Quince Orchard and was able to have a great time with my friends.”

Juniors used spring break as a way to visit colleges they are interested in. Junior Gillian Berman visited the University of Alabama, Auburn, Florida State University, and the University of Florida. “I was super excited that I got the chance to visit these schools during break because I wasn’t sure when I was going to get the time while dealing with school and sports,” Berman said.