Masks become optional in MCPS facilities

Photo by Ellie Mollica

In every classroom some students have decided to keep their masks on, and some have decide to not wear them anymore.

For just over two years, COVID-19 had impacted lives significantly. Masks were mandated, and quarantine hit. Now, the mask mandate has been lifted in Montgomery County, and students have the option to either wear their masks or not wear them. 

Some students feel safer wearing their masks, and others feel comfortable without one. Sophomore Will Jong said, “It doesn’t really change the way I do things at school except now, there are more chances of getting Covid due to the lifted mask mandate. Since the mandate has been lifted, I keep my mask resting on my chin when people aren’t around and put it on when I’m in a crowded area,” Jong said. 

In December 2021, COVID cases were on the rise, with the new Omicron variant making its way through the county. Less than three months later, state cases decreased to 35 new cases as of Mar. 16. Sophomore administrator Bradley Rohner is not surprised by the change. “I feel MCPS is making the appropriate changes based on the guidance from the CDC, which they have always used to determine the appropriate next steps,” Rohner said. 

Freshman, sophomore, and junior students have not had a “normal” year, where COVID has not interfered with having a regular school year. Whether it’s going to sporting events, clubs, or even just having in-person school, the current school year has been not expected for most, much like freshman Tali Rosen. Rosen did not expect MCPS to change their policy, and when they did, she was surprised, because MCPS has been behind other counties with regards to COVID policies. “I feel happy the mask mandate was lifted. I was a little bit worried at first but I am really excited to start having a ‘normal year’,” Rosen said. 

Although restrictions have been lifted, stopping the spread of the virus is still a priority. Students are still asked if they have any COVID symptoms or have a positive test, and they report it to the school. Improved HVAC systems and more enhanced cleaning practices are just some of the few ways MCPS plans to lower the number of cases. Testing is available every Tuesday afternoon and at local testing sites. Rapid take-home tests and KN-95 masks will continue to be distributed throughout the remainder of the school year.  

Rosen continues to wash her hands frequently, to make sure she is being safe with her mask off in class. Jong keeps his mask on his chin, giving him the opportunity to pull it up if he is in crowded spaces, like the hallways. Students are encouraged to support others with their decision and understand their position in the way they feel they can best learn. “Although I feel a bit safer with the masks on, it’s the student’s choice whether or not they want to wear a mask since the mask mandate is now lifted. I’m trying to stay clean to prevent spreading my germs to someone else,” Jong said.