World News Briefs: March 27

Two Rockville boys face major jail time
Two Rockville High School students have been charged with rape, following an incident in one of the boys’ bathrooms at the school. Henry Sanchez, 18, and Jose Montano, 17, have been charged with first degree rape and two counts of first degree sexual offense in the raping of a female student, according to wtop.com. Montano reportedly asked the student to have sexual intercourse multiple times and when she refused she was forced into the stall of the bathroom, according to police. In an inspection of the boy’s bathroom, forensic investigators found blood mixed with male fluid, according to court documents. “Ensuring a safe, secure and welcoming learning environment for all of our students is our top priority,” school officials said in the letter. “Our staff remains vigilant in the monitoring of our school each and every day. Please remind your child that if they believe they are a victim of an assault or see something inappropriate, they should immediately tell a staff member,” read a letter sent to parents of the school. White House press secretary Sean Spicer mentioned the issue during a debate over immigration policy, according to washingtonpost.com. Spicer is urging state and local officials to reexamine immigration laws so an incident like that won’t happen again.

Trump making foreign relations with North Korea shakey
On Mar. 19, President Donald Trump criticized North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. “I will tell you he is acting very badly,” Trump said after he left the press cabinet. A consistent issue going on between the United States and North Korea is the long range and nuclear missile tests and weapons that they may or may not be conducting. North Korea is banned by the United Nations from conducting long range missile tests, but they claim it is for peaceful use, according to cnn.com. Trump has not been afraid to speak his mind on international issues and has said that North Korea has been playing the United States for years, according to cnn.com. U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson won’t rule out the nuclearization of Asian allies to send a message and keep North Korea in check, according to cnn.com. Earlier this month, North Korea fired four missiles into the Sea of Japan, within 120 miles of the Japanese shoreline.

Math team competes in American Invitational Mathematics compettition
The math team had a successful competition over the past weekend. The team consisting of Zihao Li, Aolin Yang, Vijay Dey, Yue Cao and Samin Chowdhury. The team competed in the American Invitational Mathematics Competition (AIME) 10 and 12. The team is sponsored by Alexandra Brasoveanu-Tarpy a math teachers. Although the competition is international, each competing team takes the test at its home school. The team got into this competition by scoring well enough on the AMC10 or 12. The competition is broken down by individuals and consists of 15 questions. Senior Vijay Dey got seven of the questions right, which is considered an above average score.

– Radley Ellenbogen, news editor