Health class requirement increased for current freshmen, future students

Photo by Caroline Stasko

Students work in teacher Victoria McCarthy’s seventh period health class.

Previously, the health class requirement for Montgomery County Public Schools was a half credit. However, starting this school year, the requirement has been increased to a full credit for current freshmen students. 

Current MCPS sophomores, juniors and seniors are required to take only one semester of health. Freshmen students are now required to take a full year of health. “I don’t really mind taking a full year because I’m taking health during the summer so it’s not a big deal to have a half credit change to a full credit,” freshman Alex Balian said. 

I took health last summer over Zoom. It was easy and I was happy to complete the credit so I could take all the classes I wanted this year.

— Kelly Ren

It is common for students to choose to take health over the summer when they don’t have space in their schedule during the regular school year. “I took health last summer over Zoom. It was easy and I was happy to complete the credit so I could take all the classes I wanted this year,” sophomore Kelly Ren said. 

The current health semester is made up of units on mental and emotional health, personal and consumer health, safety and injury prevention, nutrition and fitness, family life and disease prevention. Students learn information on drug prevention, internet safety, the anatomy of reproductive systems, how to use contraceptives, ways to manage stress and other subjects over the span of one semester. “I believe health is the most important class students will take because it teaches the skills and knowledge necessary to improve quality of life, prolong duration of life and prevent premature death,” health teacher Victoria McCarthy said. 

Advocates for the two-semester health requirement believe it will allow for a more comprehensive health education. “Many students are so focused on academics and have extremely loaded schedules and therefore experience a great deal of stress. Hopefully taking a full year of health will help students learn to deal with their stress, prioritize their mental and physical health and teach many important life skills,” McCarthy said. 

In addition to health, other semester-long classes are offered, including Intro to Journalism and multiple social studies electives. Students taking one semester of health during the school year have had to pair health class with another semester-long class for the semester they’re not taking health. With the now full-year requirement of health for freshmen, they are less likely to take these semester-long classes and the enrollment in these classes will most likely decrease. 

While a full year of health may seem inconvenient for freshmen and future high school students, there are proven benefits to more health education. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “School-based health education helps adolescents acquire functional health knowledge, and strengthens attitudes, beliefs, and practice skills needed to adopt and maintain healthy behaviors throughout their lives.”