Perspective on college process

Do’s, don’ts of committing- Kelly Schuler, Commons Editor

As a senior, college decision deadlines are quickly approaching causing stress and anticipation for what’s to come. So, in light of taking some of the pressure off the tough choices that must be made, follow these of do’s and don’ts of committing to college education.
Do: Wait until you have heard back from all schools applied to in order to make an educated decision.
Don’t: Commit to the first college you hear back from. It’s a waste of money and other colleges might be notified of this decision and hold back from sending their acceptance letter.
Do: Talk to your parents about each decision.
Don’t: Make important college decisions on your own. Financial choices need to be made by the student and parents in order to ensure financial security throughout college.
Do: Prepare yourself for that one college environment. Make sure you can imagine yourself on the campus, interacting with other people and participating in social activities.
Don’t: Choose a college in which you don’t blend into the social environment. The ability to feel comfortable and confident in daily activities is essential.
Do: When committing on an athletic scholarship, look into the academics of the school and the financial offerings the school makes. “I committed to my first choice later than most athlete commits do in order to ensure that I was making the right choice,” senior Madison Adore said.
Don’t: Commit based on solely a sport. Check out the available academic opportunities as well.
Do: Check transfer grade availability. The number of credits a college could impact when you reach graduation.
Don’t: Attend a college that doesn’t accept the classes you took in high school, or disregard looking to see if they will accept them. Give yourself some credit.
Do: Be sure you take time to ensure that you are attending the college that is best for you. “My parents made me debate my choice once I got into University of Colorado- Boulder. I knew I wanted to go there, but they made sure I took my time and made the right decision,” senior Sophia Gordon said.
Don’t: Assume that your number one when applying will still be your number one later through the year, opinions can change.
College is an important step towards a successful future and the decisions you make can impact your potential career., There’s no penalty in waiting until the May 1 deadline.

First hand experience- Joey Voyta, Staff Writer

The process of choosing a college is different for everyone. For me, the college decision process started in the middle of junior year. I had a good idea of what my grades and test scores were and I wanted to start looking to see where I could end up.
Through Naviance, talking to my counselor and talking to friends and family, I made a list of a bunch of schools that I would at least consider. I made a list of schools based on what I knew I wanted in my college: major sports teams, not too cold weather and a big school.
This criteria I set for myself left me with about 15 schools on my list that interested me. I didn’t want to make my decision impossible by applying to so many schools, so I tried to eliminate some off of my list. To do so, I ensured that I had a balance of safeties and reaches, I asked myself if I could see myself at these schools and I talked to friends.
After I set my list of schools, I began the application process. I didn’t want to have the worst first semester of my senior year so I started my applications in the summer. I was applying early action or priority to all my schools in order to hear back as soon as I could and possibly increase my chances of being admitted. Unlike some students, I didn’t have a clear cut top choice so I wasn’t going to apply early decision, which means that you have to go to a school if you get in.
I did the Common Application first and was able to make minor changes to my Common Application essay for other essays. I finished up my applications by mid-October and then began the long waiting period. I received my first decision in the middle of November and I was relieved to know I was definitely going to college somewhere.
Decisions kept coming and the process became more fun as I continued to receive good news. I got into five of the six schools I applied to and I got waitlisted by the sixth. I had expected to get rejected because it was a reach, so I was fine with the news.
After hearing back, I visited three schools on one trip, which was beneficial because I was able to compare all three of the schools right after seeing them all in a short time span. Out of those three schools, I was able to pick the one that I liked the best. I then visited the one school that had always been at the top of my list and I had a great visit. There is still one school that I haven’t visited and I have heard great things about. At this point, I have been going back and forth between the two schools I had great visits at while still not ruling out the one school I haven’t visited. No matter what choice I make at this point, I know it will be a good one.