Resource counselor Arielle Markiewicz’ journeys through life, from kid to counselor

Photo by Hannah Rah

Counselor Arielle Markiewicz addresses student concerns in her office. She first became a counselor 13 years ago.

When a student is overwhelmed with the challenges of school, life and relationships but doesn’t know who to turn to, Arielle Markiewicz comes to the rescue.

Markiewicz has been a counselor for almost 13 years and earned her spot as head of the counseling department five years ago. With two psychologists as parents, she grew up in a household where she often shared her emotions with her family. Having this unique childhood experience made her “very aware of my emotions and people. I’ve always been a listener in my friend groups,” Markiewicz said.

From early on, Markiewicz knew what she was good at and what she wanted to do with her life, so she put her talents to use as a school counselor. “I’m a good observer of others. I can kind of read people,” Markiewicz said. 

Markiewicz said her inspiration for becoming a counselor was her love of helping others and how fulfilling it feels. “I just wanted to help students. I do this for the kids. It’s so rewarding,” Markiewicz said. 

Because she liked helping and learning about others, she found this career path fun throughout high school and college. Markiewicz then went on to a two-year master’s program at George Washington University to earn a degree in school counseling. 

Markiewicz originally set out to be an elementary school counselor, but after a half-year 

internship, she was exhausted and decided to try a high school internship. When she entered 

high school counseling, she felt it was a refreshing change of pace. “Students are very real. You can have an adult conversation with students, get somewhere and make progress and have these connections. It just clicked for me and I loved it,” Markiewicz said.

Markiewicz said she had an unpleasant experience with her high school counselor and thus vowed to set higher standards for herself. “I did not like my school counselor. She was very nosy. I just remember thinking that is not what we need. We need someone who cares and supports,” Markiewicz said. 

Counselor Daniella Bienstock described Markiewicz as “warm, compassionate, and diplomatic. She‘s nonjudgemental, supportive, a creative problem solver and a great listener.”

Similarly, counselor José Varela said Markiewicz “is very approachable, which makes it easy to seek her out for support.” 

Markiewicz’s office is decorated with an assortment of flags, photos and posters of family, alma maters and sentimental items. “Students give me all kinds of gifts and I like to display them because of their accomplishments,” Markiewicz said. 

Markiewicz enjoys exercising, especially pilates and HIIT workouts. Markieiwcz grew up in Florida and is a huge fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. She loves traveling to Florida to visit her parents. 

In order to adapt to distance learning last year, the counseling department introduced virtual counseling meetings. Students can still schedule virtual meetings if they aren’t comfortable talking to a counselor in person. “We’re not here to judge you, we’re here to support you,” Markiewicz said.