Interview club teaches valuable life skills

Interview+club+provides+students+with+the+opportunity+to+learn+how+to+conduct+a+successful+interview.+

Infographic courtesy Google Creative Commons

Interview club provides students with the opportunity to learn how to conduct a successful interview.

One of the newest clubs at the school is the interview club. The club meets on the first Friday of every month, at lunch in room 261, where they address the importance of interviewing skills and go over different types of interviews.

The club was started by junior Madelyn Lee at the start of this school year. The sponsor is JV field hockey Coach Madison Averill. Lee is also president of the club. The rest of the club officers have yet to be chosen and are being picked at the next meeting, which will be one Friday in early November.

The club’s main goal is to learn and prepare for different types of interviews and interview styles as well as learn how to use the skill of interviewing properly. “Over Covid, I had done an interview project on my grandparents to get to know more about my personal history. All of the skills I learned through this process have really benefited me and I wanted to share these skills with anyone one else who wants to do the same,” Lee said.

Guest speakers come in to give feedback to club members at meetings after they participate in mock interviews to familiarize themselves with interviewing styles. This will “help students build stronger interviewing skills and to assist with alternate tasks such as the college application process,” Averill said.

At the first club meeting, a survey was sent to members to get a better understanding of what they wanted to learn and the information they wanted to get out of the club. “About 29% wanted to learn more about college application interviews, 23.5% for Do’s and Don’t of an interview, another 23.5% wanted to learn how to be the interviewer, 17.6% for internship interviews and 5.9% for summer job applications,” Lee said.

To help club members learn more about different types of interviews, the club will have guest speakers come in during meetings. “One especially exciting meeting I have planned is for a guest speaker from Harvard admissions to give a lesson on college applications and interviews through Zoom,” Lee said.

Being in the club helps me feel connected with the Wootton community because I can participate with my friends in the different activities.

— Melissa Lee

Aside from learning new skills, clubs can help students feel connected to a school community. “Being in the club helps me feel connected with the Wootton community because I can participate with my friends in the different activities,” freshman Melissa Lee said.

Interviewing as a whole is an important skill to learn as there is more than one type of interview. “Each meeting we will go over how to prepare for a different type of interview,” Lee said. 

Students interested in joining the club should email the club president [email protected] or the sponsor at [email protected] for more information about meeting dates and times, locations, agendas, officer elections, guest speakers and more.