Muslim Student Association creates safe space to learn about, practice Islam

Photo by Humnah Ibrahim

Members of the MSA gather for Friday prayers Oct. 15.

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) plans to host activities this school year to bring the Muslim student community closer and expand it more than it has been in the past.

Students learn about other religions in their history classes, but this club gives another chance to learn more specifically about Islam to those who would like to. The club’s mission statement is to bring “Muslim students and students of other faiths…. [together] through various events and activities throughout the year while learning about Islam.”

In previous years, the club has held an Eid picnic, a club Iftar and has gone to the Muslim Interscholastic Tournament (MIST). The MIST is an event where other high school MSA’s come together and compete in different areas like debate, art and writing. This allows students to compete in what interests them or what they are good at, or to simply meet others of the same community. 

There is a regional MIST for the DMV area and a national one as well. If the club wins the regional then they go to the nationals. Participating in the MIST is an opportunity to show off skills or even discover new strengths. Most importantly, it’s a unique experience, a chance to do something new and step out of one’s comfort zone.

Last year not many people came so now we’re trying to do more events.

— Humnah Ibrahim

As last year was online, the club didn’t meet as much and wasn’t able to go through with all planned activities. This year, school is back in person, so the club might change compared to how it was last year. “Last year not many people came so now we’re trying to do more events,” senior and president Humnah Ibrahim said.

Currently, the MSA meets every other Thursday during lunch in room 251. The club hopes to go hiking before it gets cold, or conduct another outdoor activity. Meeting outside of school would allow the members to bond and get to know each other more, and at the same time help students forget about school for a while.

The club is excited for Eid and Ramadan celebrations, the MIST, events and game nights. The club leaders are trying to create bonds between Muslim students and any non-Muslim students who want to learn more about Islam or simply make more friends. “[We are] trying to make a safe community,” Ibrahim said.

The club has already started holding Jummah prayer after school from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. This prevents students from having to worry about missing their Friday prayers.