What’s Underway in SGA: Homecoming and beyond

Photo by Nico DePalma

Students gather in the Commons for a game of tug-of-war Oct. 12, just one of the games SGA has hosted to bolster spirit before the homecoming dance.

Posters up in the halls, students cheering in the Commons, and the struggle to find clothes that fit tomorrow’s spirit theme can only mean one thing: it’s homecoming week. As the countdown to Saturday, Oct. 16 approaches zero, SGA is hard at work coordinating the homecoming pep rally, hallways, floats, dance and more.

We’ve been adjusting as best as we can, and I’d like to say that we’ve come up with the best possible plan of action for dealing with all the restrictions we’ve had to overcome.

— Nick Jones

Last month, there wasn’t a clear idea of what homecoming would look like this school year. Since then, SGA has decided with administration that the dance will be held on the field from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., slightly earlier and shorter than previous years. “We’ve been adjusting as best as we can, and I’d like to say that we’ve come up with the best possible plan of action for dealing with all the restrictions we’ve had to overcome,” senior and SGA Co-President Nick Jones said.

Because students are not permitted to wear sharp-heeled shoes on the turf, SGA will be offering free socks to all dancers. “[Homecoming] definitely will be different, but we have a lot of students who are excited, having missed their freshman year homecoming, and we have a lot of sophomores here coming back,” Jones said. “I think a lot of students will enjoy it.”

To build spirit leading up to the dance, SGA has hosted games like tug-of-war and musical chairs in the Commons. Students have also been partaking in spirit week, seen around the halls in their best tropical, country club and western attire. “This school year in SGA I am most excited to help revamp school spirit after a year online. It is so vital to have a strong community at school and it makes school more fun,” junior and SGA Executive Council Vice President Maya Gottesman said.

Although COVID-19 has been a source of much change this year, it has also been a motivator for school spirit. “I think COVID-19 caused people to participate more in school spirit this year. Since we obviously couldn’t have homecoming or spirit weeks last school year, I think people are making up for lost time, especially seniors who only have this year left to participate,” junior Ishani Tyagi said.

The SGA Executive Council will also be working on community outreach and advocacy throughout the school year, led by Gottesman and senior Lizzy Jack. “The student body this year is definitely getting thrown a lot of ‘new,’ whether it be the work load or a new physical school, but everyone is being very resilient,” Gottesman said. “To close off, hi Patriots! Get ready for a super fun school year, the SGA can’t wait.”