Parking permit assignments for dummies

It’s the most tense time of year. Friends turn to enemies. And the underlying cause… parking spots. Parking spots are assigned for first and second semester and the last two weeks of school after the seniors have graduated: either at the lower lot or at Rockshire.
Strict credentials come into play when applying for a parking permit for both juniors and seniors. Without having the necessary requirements one cannot get a spot at either of the parking lots. The requirements may be tough to meet for some, but they are necessary because with the first-come, first-served basis, the permit process is selective. It has to be selective because “we have in the lower lot 182 spaces and 75 over at Rockshire,” secretary Cynthia Cunningham said.
This year, juniors could only apply for permits at Rockshire after all of the senior applications were processed. The qualifications for juniors to apply included having at least a 2.0 GPA with no more than one failing grade, all 75 SSL hours met and no attendance issues. If you met all of these requirements, you could fill out an application, which also involved attaching your car insurance information for the specific car that you are driving and proof of a valid driver’s license, and turning it into Cunningham in room 41 to be reviewed. Even though students feel that the application process is tedious “it is well worth it because I like whipping my Jeep to school and being able to go anywhere I want after school,” junior Zack Lechner said.
For the spring permits, the requirements were a bit different due to the fact that only seniors could apply for permits because of the increased demand for spots. For seniors the requirements included having at least a 2.0 GPA with no more than one failing grade, all 75 SSL hours met and no attendance issues, with the addition of the completion of the senior survey and the payment of all senior dues. Along with these requirements, proof of a valid driver’s license and the insurance information for the specific car that one is driving was needed.
Although the application process is run by a first-come, first-served basis, some priorities and accommodations are made. First, priority is given to students who spend time at another MCPS school as part of their high school program. This is only considered priority if no alternative transportation is provided.
Second, priority is given to students who are enrolled in a school supervised program or internship that occurs during school hours. This too is only considered priority if no alternative transportation is provided. Lastly, priority is given to students who are enrolled in at least two classes in the Montgomery County Dual Enrollment Program at USG. Some are looking forward to “having an internship because it helps make you a priority for parking in the lot,” junior Lindsay Ross said.
All communication about parking permits is done through email so make sure to keep checking the inbox. If a student is emailed back with an acceptance of their application, they have been admitted into a selective and exclusive society with an admission fee of $37.50 per semester.

Rachel Berman

Staff Writer