Herzon retires in good spirits

Biology teacher Stanford Herzon prepares for his final classes of the school year.
Photo by Jack Weinstein

After 25 years of teaching courses here such as forensics science, molecular science and honors biology, Stanford Herzon has decided that his career as a teacher and mentor will be coming to an end as the school year concludes.

The bond between Herzon and science began long before he started teaching in Montgomery County. Growing up in Chicago, Herzon recalls times when his father would take him and his brother west to go searching for gold. Herzon would spend this time out in the wilderness searching for dinosaur bones and other artifacts that would pique his interest. “I would pick up branches and other twigs, then yell out to my dad that I found a bone,” Herzon said.

In his college years, Herzon attended Loyola University, Chicago, and didn’t envision himself teaching until he was accepted into the Student Teacher Internship Program at a lab in Bethesda. Herzon traveled to Bethesda for a week to conduct molecular biology experiments with high profile scientists. It was here that Herzon gained the inspiration to teach, as he was learning from the best. “I got a feel of what it was like to conduct high level research at one of the best labs in Bethesda,” Herzon said.

Herzon taught at Watkins Mill for five years before he transferred here to teach molecular biology and honors biology. Due to the connections he made with other high profile scientists, Herzon was able to bring in scientists to help connect with students during his classes. This helped him form bonds with his students and creat better relationships with them. Sophomore Grant McGraw was in Herzon’s honors biology class during the 2022-2023 school year. “I loved learning from him and he really helped me understand and enjoy biology,” McGraw said

Not only does Herzon share a passion for science, he also enjoys the sport of basketball. Herzon played basketball for his middle school team and from then on, he carried his love of basketball through every stage of his work. When he attended Loyola University, Herzon was the senior sports editor of the school’s newspaper and he covered the basketball team on campus. “I would go to every game, even the away games,” Herzon said.

After he graduated, Herzon became a writer for the Chicago Sun-Times, where he would go to local high school basketball games and cover the teams and scores of each game. This inspired Herzon to approach varsity basketball coach Eric Graves with a proposal to help him during games as an assistant coach. “I’ve been helping the team for a while now and even after I retire, I’m going to continue to coach,” Herzon said.

Throughout his time here, Herzon positively impacted students and teachers with his unique approach to teaching and coaching. Sophomore Chase Mitchell who plays on the varsity basketball team said, “I really appreciate Coach Herzon’s input during games and practices and I think that It helps the whole team get motivated to win.”

As he reflects on his memories as a teacher, Herzon said that his favorite revolved around working with students and developing close relationships with them. “As much as they are there for us, we have to be there for them,” Herzon said.

At 66 years old, Herzon isn’t ready to stop teaching kids about science and helping them learn. He’s planning to pursue other passions such as creating a forensics science show on Youtube revolving around the best legal cases that were solved using forensic science. “I have 12 episodes in my mind already and two of them are already produced,” Herzon said.

Herzon’s final message to upcoming and current students is that you should always follow your passion and “find a career that you absolutely love.”