Lamar, Drake rap battle causes internet chaos

Rappers Drake (left) and Kendrick Lamar (right) have roiled fans with their current feud. I hope this beef ends because I like both rappers equally, sophomore Danielle Rubin said.
Photo used with permission from Google Creative Commons
Rappers Drake (left) and Kendrick Lamar (right) have roiled fans with their current feud. “I hope this beef ends because I like both rappers equally,” sophomore Danielle Rubin said.

Conflict between two rappers, Kendrick Lamar and Drake, has caused mass internet attention. These two rappers are arguably the biggest names in the industry and have caused conflict and debate among fans.

The conflict began to heat up on ‘Like That’ by rappers Metro Boomin, Lamar and Future, in which Lamar took shots at rappers Drake and J-Cole. J-Cole was originally part of this beef, but has since then apologized and stepped out of the picture, making the beef two-sided between Lamar and Drake. The rappers have both released several diss-tracks, making serious allegations toward each other. Lamar claimed that Drake was a pedophile and that he had a secret daughter who he did not care for. Drake responded to these allegations by resurfacing Lamar’s allegations of abuse toward his partner.

Disstracks are nothing new, but the reasons why this one is especially controversial and popular is not only because the two rappers are so famous, but because the beef is so public and aggressive. Both rappers have said each other’s names and taken shots at their families, making it blatantly obvious who and what they are dissing. Usually, when a rapper has taken shots at another, it is not an obvious name-drop and has to be deciphered. The internet has split into taking sides over this rap battle, but certain people enjoy watching without taking sides. “I listen to both rappers and think they are great artists so I don’t pick sides, but watching this all go down has been very entertaining,” sophomore Jonas Klein said.

This beef has made money for both rappers’ as their current most popular songs on Apple Music are their diss tracks. In Lamar’s song, ‘Meet the Grahams,’ he addresses all of Drake’s family members including Drake’s six-year-old son. Drake has made fewer diss tracks and allegations, which led people to believe that Lamar is winning the beef. “After Kendrick Lamar made ‘Not like us’ and ‘Meet the Grahams’ he automatically won the beef. Kendrick is just a better rapper anyway,” sophomore Bryson Filbert said.

There has been beef between the two since 2013, when Lamar took shots at Drake in artist Big Sean’s song, ‘Control,’ but it is only just now becoming so public. People who take Drake’s side say Lamar has gone too far and is just trying to start things. “I think Lamar just wants attention. It is clear Drake is the better rapper and all the allegations have no proof and Lamar is just saying untrue things to try to win the beef. Drake is the only one keeping it real,” senior Holden O’Brien said.

The allegations made between the two rappers could potentially get them in legal trouble, with both rappers claiming the other is abusive and neglectful, and Lamar saying Drake is a pedophile. These allegations escalated the argument and made people take sides across the internet. This beef has created arguments among friends. “I have gotten into serious arguments with my friends who think Drake is winning the beef,” Filbert said.