The Cabin John split: new schools, new journeys

Photo courtesy Blake Graham
Wootton sophomore Blake Graham and Churchill sophomore Austin Lieber reunite after the Wootton vs. Churchill football game In September 2023.

Students at Cabin John Middle School are forced to separate from old friends and fond memories. In each graduating class, around 150 students from Cabin John combine with the rising freshmen of Robert Frost Middle School, leading to the creation of this school’s student body.

The reason for this split is caused by the location of Cabin John in relation to Montgomery County’s cluster school boundaries. At the elementary and middle school level, most students stay with the same group, but that is until high school where Cabin John splits up. This makes it hard for Cabin John students to leave their friends because they have been together for years.

This split also is the root of the historic rivalry between this school and Churchill. “As a player on Wootton’s boys’ basketball team, I think our team was really good and I think the majority of the sports teams we have are too. When we play against Churchill it’s a competitive and intense game because of their quality sports teams as well,” sophomore Cameron Pietak said.

While students have a difficult time leaving their friends, they find new friends and also may become closer with old ones. Students often find this as a good opportunity to meet new people and have a change of scenery. “I’m happy to go to Wootton because it’s given me a lot of good friends and I feel that the education they provide here is really effective towards the students,” sophomore Gabriella Gbebry said.

Students who attended Cabin John and moved onto Churchill have a different experience than those who attend this school due to academic differences, sports teams and the people. “I like Churchill because of the tight knit community of teachers and students. I’m glad I go here because I receive a good education and at the same time can have fun with my friends,” sophomore Churchill student Laila Foose said.

For Cabin John students, the split between these two high schools can bring mixed emotions. On one hand it’s an opportunity to meet new people, make new friends, and experience a different environment. On the other hand it can be difficult to adjust and some students have a hard time sinking into the new school community. “A lot of my friends are from the Churchill district, and I had to leave them, which made me nervous going into Wootton. Overall I met new friends and enjoy Wootton now,” sophomore Danielle Rubin said.

Social media, extracurricular activities, and community events offer students who were separated after graduating from Cabin John a way to connect. Sport games are one of the most liked ways to see old classmates, as students enjoy going to the games to interact with their peers from different schools and enjoy a fun rivalry between the teams. “It’s always nice having friends from other schools, especially at the annual Churchill vs Wootton football game, where you can hang out with your Churchill friends during the games,” sophomore Nathan Zweig said.