Unpacking ‘The Idea of You’: What went wrong?

Photo courtesy Laila Ghorab
Senior Carma Ghorab watches Michael Showalter’s seventh feature film “The Idea of You” on May 25 on a roadtrip to New Jersey. “There was no substance to the movie, it felt like a story for older One Direction fans that are now mothers. It was a very odd trope, a mother with a newly adult,” Ghorab said.

It seems that Amazon Prime has created its own genre over the last few years: one that weirdly straddles the line between Disney Channel tween innocence and Emmy-worthy adult dramas. Titles like “Red, White & Royal Blue,” “The Summer I Turned Pretty” and “Totally Killer” are only a few examples. The newest addition to this genre, “The Idea of You,” falls short, delivering sloppy characters and migraine-inducing storylines.

Leading lady Anne Hathaway’s career post-2020 might appear to have gone downhill, with her recent filmography having lower ratings and less attention compared to her 2010s blockbusters, but blaming solely Hathaway for this would be misguided. Walking away from this flick, the standout element was undoubtedly Hathaway herself, who gave a beyond-stellar performance. She appears to be selective of the projects she takes, only opting for roles where she can have fun. With an Oscar already in hand, Hathaway doesn’t seem to be actively searching for another one anytime soon.

The film especially lacks in the writing department. The screenplay was written by Jennifer Westfeldt, who leaves much to be desired. This shortfall isn’t surprising given Westfeldt penned 2001s “Kissing Jessica Stein,” which is infamous in the rom-com world for pioneering gay flicks in the genre, while simultaneously having one of the worst endings of all time. Making her return after a 13-year screenwriting hiatus, Westfeldt’s efforts might’ve been hindered by her co-writer Michael Showalter (who also directed the film), or even the original author, Robinne Lee, whose substance may have lacked the necessary depth for a more compelling adaptation.

The story itself is obnoxious. The characters aren’t fluid or well-developed, leaving every storyline to fall short. In one scene, Hathaway’s character invites a 24-year-old pop star to her home for a sandwich while her daughter is away at camp. They share their thoughts and feelings, but she continuously tells him that she has major trust issues. Then she proceeds to tell the pop star every facet of her life and its flaws.

The production and editing side of things is particularly messy. One scene, around 30 minutes into the film, shows what feels like a million different cuts back and forth between the characters. This only felt that way because of the hair continuity. Hathaway had long hair in one shot, then in the next cut she had all her hair behind her shoulders. In the following cut, half of it was on her shoulder and half of it was behind. This only furthers the point that the movie was rushed out.

No matter what is said, “The Idea of You” tries its best to be a social commentary. Whether it’s a Harry Styles fan-fiction or just a poorly written adaptation of a novel, the film wants you to know that these characters have struggles. It attempts to tackle age — when a woman is out of her prime or when it’s time to be mature in today’s society — but that falls flat to audiences. Instead of showing, they tell us, and they keep reminding us with long monologues that just end up feeling like thinkpieces. The closest we get to a sort of social commentary is social media culture when gossip columns and fandoms riot over the pop star’s new relationship. Even that storyline ends within mere seconds.

If “The Idea of You” had approached the age gap separating its romantic leads with the same seriousness and commitment to the realism that 1990s “Pretty Woman” applied to sex work, it would’ve been more engaging, fresh and innovative. By the end of the movie, our big pop star seems oddly relieved to realize that, despite being 16 years older than him, Hathaway’s character doesn’t appear to age in her maturity levels. This realization underscores the film’s broader failures. It neither provides a believable romance nor delivers a meaningful social commentary, leaving audiences wondering what the point of it all was. In the end, “The Idea of You” is a missed opportunity, filled with disjointed storytelling.