All-division, all-county athletes shine in respective sports

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Junior Goalie Connor Jackson, named second team all-division, makes a save against Richard Montgomery on Apr. 27.

As spring sports come to an end, awards are given to deserving athletes in each division and in the county as a whole. With the move to a new division this year for all sports, 3A, comes many named all-division athletes.
Varsity baseball features four all-division players, competing against schools like Sherwood, Poolesville and Magruder for their spots, including junior Matthew Kunst and senior Malachi Reid on the first team and junior AJ Shifflet and sophomore Kai Schmelzer on the second team. Shifflet ended the season with a .361 batting average and a .487 on base percentage. All of these players are new to having the all-division title, but three out of these four players will be back next season to compete in their divisions, chasing more all-division positions and giving a promising future to varsity baseball.

Varsity boys’ lacrosse has two all-division players including junior goalie Connor Jackson and senior defensive-midfield Holden O’Brien, both on the second team. Jackson got second team all-division last season as well, and ended this season with a .645 save percentage, which placed him tied second in the county. O’Brien came off of a season-ending injury in football, carrying over to lacrosse last season. In order to achieve an all-division second team position even after an injury, O’Brien had to work even harder to be the best in the division. He ended the season with eight points, 32 ground balls, and 12 forced turnovers, playing a pivotal role on the wings on faceoff and on defense.

Varsity girls’ lacrosse has seven all-county players, split up between first team, second team and honorable mentions. Sophomore midfield Maya Bellamy made first team all-county, freshman midfield Emma King and senior defense Katelyn Ahn made the second team, and junior attack Isabella Davis-Astrada, sophomore midfield Emory Scofield, senior defense Chloe Kim, and senior goalie Waverly Nakashima made honorable mentions. Bellamy came off of a freshman season going second team all-division and now a first team all-county, and strives to continue her legacy throughout her junior and senior year. Three of these all-county players are underclassmen and four in total will return next season to show their all-county caliber.

These all-division and all-county athletes will look to return next season only to improve and develop into a better player and achieve higher accolades.