New student club fights guns at school

After the Parkland shootings one month ago, there was outrage all over the country about the lack of gun control, specifically among students. There were a variety of responses including protests such as walkouts. Some students here responded with the creation of the Wootton Gun Control club.

When talks of walkouts and protests began, the school administration did not know exactly what their policy would be on kids protesting. Open dialogue between students and administration led to the creation of this club. “The gun control club formed after the first school walkout when Ms. Boldon went on the intercom telling us not to leave school premises, but to talk to her and other administrators instead during lunch. I, and a couple other people, went to speak with her, and we discussed ideas to get the Wootton community politically involved,” junior Mina Senthil said.

The Gun Control Club wants to get students involved in as many ways as they can. “Our club’s mission is to provide ways for students at Wootton to talk to elected officials and continue to push change for the multiple factors that go into gun violence. Whether it be talking to representatives about mental health or stricter background checks, we want to make sure all students at Wootton have an avenue to voice their opinions and concerns,” Senthil said.

The club hopes to communicate with students as much as they can, so that they know how they can become involved. “We are spreading awareness about the club through social media, we have a Facebook group, and Ms. Boldon has been very accommodating trying to help us raise awareness about the club,” junior Keerat Singh said.

There are many students who want to be politically active, but find it difficult to feel like they are making a difference. The gun control club hopes they can help those students. “I think the students running the club are doing a great thing for the Wootton community because we as kids do not have many avenues to voice our opinion but they have found a way to join a growing movement,” senior Justin Slud said.

Although some doubt how much the club can accomplish, people who create change have to have a starting point. “I think it is good that kids are trying to make a difference. It is hard to tell how effective the club will be, but I think that acting and doing something when there is a problem is always better than sitting and doing nothing,” junior Jaanavi Selvaraj said.

The gun control club has no plans of slowing down, they are looking to the future with plans to continue to push their message, and get more students involved. “We are planning a teen phone bank and email writing night where students can call representatives both conservatives and liberal and both in and out of state in order to increase the scope of who we can reach. We are also inviting some representatives to attend the event to help out and engage the students. We are planning this event for March 23rd, the day before the March for Our Lives,” Senthil said.

Jake Klugerman

Profiles Editor