Woothon raises money for Children’s Hospital

The Future Doctors of America (FDA) hosted Woothon, a dance marathon on March 17 to raise money for the Children’s National Hospital. The event took place in the main gym and Commons from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
FDA began preparing for Woothon in Oct., when club officers split the club members into committees. Each of the five committees, food/catering, props/decorations, fundraising, advertising and activities, focused on planning a specific part of the event. Each committee held monthly meetings to discuss ideas and ways to implement them. Committees were also asked to work together to ensure the event was well planned out.
Senior Matthew Lam was the head of the advertising committee and made certain that members were staying on task and accomplishing their goals. “Although at times being the committee head was stressful and enduring, I enjoyed creating the videos and advertisements that were supporting a good cause,” Lam said.
The advertising committee put in its best efforts to encourage people to attend Woothon. The event was advertised on the morning announcements, social media and through posters and flyers plastered all across the school. “I thought Woothon was advertised very well. I was reminded almost every day for the weeks leading up to the event to attend and donate,” junior Justin Slud said.
In addition to committees, FDA also received help from members of the Terpathon planning committee. Terpathon is a dance marathon held at the University of Maryland, College Park. FDA officers frequently met with Terpathon planners via Google chat to discuss how to successfully execute Woothon. Senior President Rhea Kulkarni explained that these meetings were a great help to FDA. “Collaborating with someone who has experiene was really helpful in figuring out what kinds of activities to plan to interest people in coming to Woothon,” Kulkarni said.
Throughout the year, FDA held fundraisers at Chick-Fil-A, Chipotle and through bake sales to pay for the costs of Woothon, which included funds for food and activities. Vice President Margaret Lo describes the process of funding Woothon: “Our goal in mind was to donate as much money as we can earn, and fortunately for us, we were able to have security, building services and facility all free. As a result, 100 percent of the proceeds went to the hospital,” Lo said.
As for the actual event, students danced in the gym and enjoyed activities such as ping pong, twister, card making for the kids at the hospital and raffles in the Commons. Senior Gurbani Singh attended the event with her group of friends. “I thought Woothon was a fun event because I got to hang out with my friends and dance, while also getting to help out the children in the hospital at the same time,” Singh said.
Woothon raised $1,032 for the Children’s National Hospital and was able to host an exciting event for students. FDA will continue to host Woothon for years to come, and hopes the event will progressively gain popularity.

Smriti Gupta

Front Page Editor