Sources of Strength spreads positivity

The Sources of Strength program spoke to ninth and 10th grade homerooms about the importance of spreading positivity on December 19. By the end of the lesson, the program attempted for students to understand why having a source of strength in life is so beneficial.
First, a video played introducing the program and what it has to offer. The video featured peer leaders who are student representations of the program, who explained the importance of the program, and expressed what their source of strength is whether inside or outside of school. “My source of strength is generosity, it makes my day knowing I made someone else’s.” peer leader Michelle Podribink said.
Teacher Michael Kim organized the video in order to spread the name of the program. “I want to inform students about the importance of sources of strength and what it has to offer. I hope that students are inspired by the video and therefore view the school as a more trusted environment,” Dr. Kim said.
Students analyzed the sources of strength wheel, which identifies eight sources of support including positive friends, family support, mentors, mental health, medical access, spirituality, generosity and healthy activities. These different sources show different aspects of support in a person’s life. Students then shared stories about different themes on the wheel that have impacted their lives. By reflecting on these sources of support, students felt good about the positive aspects of their lives..
Peer leaders then advertised the Trusted Adult Campaign, their first initiative of spreading positivity. Sticky notes will eventually be hung in the commons in a “WHS” shape as students will write on them who they trust in the building. As a result, adults who students trust and go to when they want to share something exciting, vent when needed and talk to when stressed will be recognized. “I will be putting Greg the security guards name on the sticky note for the campaign. Most students wouldn’t view him to be anything more than a security guard, but I hope to get his name around so that people know that he is truly a source of strength,” junior Sara Cohn said.
Students had mixed feedback toward the lesson. Some viewed the campaign as a beneficial way to advertise trusted adults across the building, while others thought that the program did not express its message well. “I honestly don’t know what to expect from this campaign. I am hoping that I will have a better idea of trusted adults in the building and a better feel of the school.” freshman Julia Bogart said.
More campaigns will be organized throughout the year in order to spread positively around the school. As a result, the program will bring awareness to hope, help and strength available in the school and in the community.

Jordyn Taylor

Commons Editor