Boys Lax: Team wins big, starts season off right

After coming off of a 12-5 season, the boys’ lacrosse team looks to improve this season and to win states. The boys’ season came to an end last year when they lost to Churchill during their second game in the playoffs.
With only six seniors leaving, the team does not need to rebuild their team after last year. Instead, the team has looked to strengthen their weaknesses. With almost the same team, the chemistry is there and the team needs to focus on winning. With sophomore Matt Kelly and John Billingsley playing this year, more weapons are added to the team. “I believe this team has the chance to win states this year. The team chemistry is there and we trust each other on and off the field,” junior midfielder Mason Romm said.
Winning their first scrimmage of the year, the boys look sharp mentally and physically on the field. “After winning the scrimmage, I thought we played really well and if we play this well throughout the season we have a real shot at states,” junior defender Nate Frohna said.

With their first game right around the corner, the team looks to start the season on the right foot. “Winning the first game can be beneficial to us and can have a big impact on the team,” junior midfielder Jake Warner said.
The boys hosted Clarksburg as their season opener. The boys played well on both sides of the field. They boys were able to hold Clarksburg to three goals while scoring 19 goals on offense. Romm lead the team with five goals while junior LSM (long stick midfielder) Danny Maloy added a hat-trick of his own. Junior Ethan Heiberger stopped four of five shots. “ I thought the defense played really well in front of me, to only allow five shots in the first is pretty impressive. Overall the coaches were happy with the result we got but they definitely felt there was room for improvement and work to be done,” Heiberger said. Their next game is on Mar. 24 and is to late to be covered in this issue.

Eric Lee